Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66- 289A with Ford 4spd. The tranny keeps locking in a gear. I have to pull over and fight with it for a while before it comes out. It is getting worse and is now to the point where I can't drive the car. I have to trailer the car quite a way to get to a tranny shop. Any ideas on an easy fix ??? or is it a re and re of the transmission? I checked the linkage adjustment several times both before and after a lock-up and it is good. (the 1/4 inch rod through the holes) Thanks Much appreciated !!!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Is your clutch adjusted correctly? It should have approx. 1" of free play at teh pedal. If there is too much free play it might not be disengaging the trans. all of the way and make it seem that you can't shift properly.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely a worn floorshift. The old Ford units do not hold up all that well after 30+ years. What is happening is the floorshift is leaving the trans in gear when when you shift through neutral to the next gear. The shift interlocks in the trans are performing as designed and preventing you from placing the trans in two speeds at once which would shear the teeth off the cluster gear. The solution is to get a Hurst unit. My old Ford shifter felt like I was mixing chile. The Hurst unit I have now is rock solid and works great.

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If you get a Hurst shifter, chuck the nylon shift rod bushings and get steel one like the ones from Mr Gasket. They also come with extra retaining pins which saved my but once since one of the original pins sheared and I had to use a paper clip and nurse it home inorder to get the extra part.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts