Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the differences with the shifter linkage between a big block car and a small block car? I purchased one off of a small block car to use on my car. But I look in the catalogs and the have different listings?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Send a PM or email to Mark at toploaderheaven. IIRC, his email address is [email protected]

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Here's the scoop on factory shift linkage. 67 and 68 big block linkage will work on 64 1/2 thru 68 small block transmissions but not the other way around.
All factory linkage (rods, levers, & control box) is the same in 69 except that the big blocks still used the adapter plate to relocate the shifter to the rear of the tail housing.
The factory Hurst big block linkage rods will work on a small block 70 and 71 trans but it's a close shave using the small block linkage on the big block toploader. The small block reverse rod is a tight fit on the big block trans.
Adapter plates will not interchange between big and small block in 70 and 71.
1972 and 73 linkage will work on 70 and 71 small block tranny but not the other way around because of the 3rd 4th shift rod and lever is different in 72 and 73 for clearance purposes.
Aftermarket Hurst linkage is the same from 1964 1/2 thru 1969 except for the reverse rod is longer on the small block and the adapter plate is different.
1970 and 71 after-market big block linkage is the same as 64 1/2 thru 69 small block but the adapter plates are different.
1970 and 71 aftermarket linkage kits are no longer available from Mr. Gasket which owns Hurst.
[email protected]

Let me know if I can help with more info.
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts