Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this for my dad. He has a 65 with a 289, 4 speed toploader. he installed a hurst competition plus shifter. He was unable to shift into reverse. The shifter was all the way in the reverse position, he went underneath and the reverse knob(sorry I dont know the specific term) on the tranny needed to turn 1/4 of travel to engage the reverse. He adjusted the linkage so the car was in reverse. He then shifted into first and it would not come out of reverse. again he went underneth and the reverse knob needed to travel 1/4 of the way in the other direction to disengage reverse. What is the cause of this? The reverse shift rod cannot be adjusted to accomodate both states.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings,

Did your dad install just the shifter, or also the shifter installation kit which includes new shifter rods and the shift levers for the transmission? It sounds as though the reverse shift lever on the trans is too long. Also, if he did install new levers and rods, there is one other possibility. If the kit is meant to work on 1970 and newer toploaders, the reverse shift lever also operates the back drive linkage up to the column. Your dad's '65 would not have this of course. If he put this style of reverse shift lever on backwards, he would also have the problem you describe. Snap us some pictures and let us have a look.

Don

·
Registered
583 Posts
yea had same problem when i installed the "pedal" on wrong what would happen was that it would go like this from nutral / like that to - and it will then bind it should end to be some were in between.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I seem to remember there's bolts on the front/back of the shifter to adjust travel. But it's been a while since I looked at my shifter.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I am posting this for my dad. He has a 65 with a 289, 4 speed toploader. he installed a hurst competition plus shifter. He was unable to shift into reverse. The shifter was all the way in the reverse position, he went underneath and the reverse knob(sorry I dont know the specific term) on the tranny needed to turn 1/4 of travel to engage the reverse. He adjusted the linkage so the car was in reverse. He then shifted into first and it would not come out of reverse. again he went underneth and the reverse knob needed to travel 1/4 of the way in the other direction to disengage reverse. What is the cause of this? The reverse shift rod cannot be adjusted to accomodate both states.
Begin with trans in neutral and shifter centered, place a 3/16 rod thru hole in side of shifter housing. This keeps the shifter arms centered while adjusting rod lenght.
Adjust all rods so the they are centered in trans lever and shifter arm holes and install retaining clips.
Next loosen and back out the front and rear shifter stop bolts and remove the centering pin from housing.
Place the trans in first gear. adjust the front stop screw inward till it just touches the shifter handle and lock down the nut.
Move the shifter to second gear and adjust the rear stop screw till it touches the shifter handle and lock the nut down.
Test drive the car.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Very good explanation---just done mine the other day like that and it shifts like a dream.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies I'll get back to him on this stuff, I have a hurst short throw shifter in my 65 and it seems to work just fine although I would rather have a competition plus.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 Speed shifter HELP updated troubleshooting info

Update!!!
Here is the troubleshooting as it stands now:
Here is the senario. I purchased the toploader and shifter as a unit. I figured where they were all together they probably would worked together.

I tore down the shifter , cleaned it all up and reassembled according to a good video I found on the internet. When I checked out the shifting I could shift well into all four forward gears but it would not go into reverse. Once under the car I removed the reverse arm linkage and noticed the arm on the transmission had to turn another 15 degrees in order to put the car in reverse. I pinned the forward gear arms in the center position and put the shift handle in the reverse position then adjusted the linkage to have the car in reverse. Now the reverse gear is o.k. but I can't get the shifter to go into the forward gears because it won't come all the way out of reverse. It's like the throw on the reverse lever doesn't swing back and forward enought to go fully in gear and fully out of gear. I removed the entire assembly and did some testing. The arm attached to the transmission needs to travel 1 inch in order to be fully engaged and fully disengaged. Because the shifter assemble bolts onto the adapter plate so the bent 90 degree arm for reverse is pointing in an upwards position a lot of the throw of the arm is lost in an upwards motion of the arm.

I know this can sound confusing but anyone who has ever monkeyed around with one of these will know what I mean. Put simply, there is not enough throw forward and back in the mechanics to move the tramsmission arm the full 1 inch. I have tried changing the location on the adapter plate, and the shifter but nothing changes or some other component interferes. I even drilled and tapped another hole in the adapter to try to change the position of the assembly but then the shift handle hit the opening in the tunnel.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
The small lever on the trans may be installed wrong, or is the wrong part.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Competition Plus

Hey BaileyBump

I took a Competition Plus off my '65 GT if you are interested.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Adjustment of original shifter ?

Resurrecting an old thread for a related question. Pabeaer89's instruction in #5 above on how to adjust a hurst shifter- is there any adjustment process to do on an original toploader shifter ? I know about lining up the holes and placing an allen wrench in it.

Just took our original shifter apart for a clean & grease, hoping it makes a big difference in how easy it shifts. Just bought this project 65 vert which has been sitting for 7-8 years. Being ridiculously hard to shift was i'm sure one of the reasons it saw the road so little with its last owner.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Try shifting the levers on the transmission by hand. They should be tough to move, but smooth and you will feel a positive engagement. If it is really hard to move, or has a grinding feeling, I suspect an issue with the interlock pins and springs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts