Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so right now im running Front discs and manual brakes with a Distribution Valve/Proportioning valve unit for the brakes. I plan on changing over to a Power Brake setup with rear disc brakes, giving me all wheel discs. Is there a Distribution Block setup for all wheel disc power brakes that would allow me not to need a aftermarket Proportioning valve? or will i need to get myself an adjustable valve for the rear brakes?

Collecting parts for my rear end swap as in a week or two i plan on ripping my car apart. (Have to get the '95 F150 back together first! Cant tear apart one running car when the other is out of order!)

Any suggestions on the prop valve if i have to get one? I know i have asked this question before but i dont think i clearley asked what i was trying to find out. Thanks! -Jacob

·
Registered
204 Posts
Actually SSBC just came out with a new dist block with the prop valve in it. They were showing it at SEMA.

They sold out in the first week and it will not be until January before they restock.

On 4 wheel disc cars, the prop valve is absolutely needed.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Is the new SSBC proportioning valve adjustable? That would really be necessary with all the different rear disc options available.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
On 4 wheel disc cars, the prop valve is absolutely needed.
Hmm...
Adjustable proportioning valves are very nice for fine tuning the bias between front and rear braking systems, but are not strictly necessary for either four wheel disc or four wheel drum systems.

The purpose of the proportioning valve is to create a pressure differential between the two hydraulic circuits. This is critical for mixed applications, since disc brakes require far more fluid volume for operation than drum brakes. This is why the fluid reservoir is so much larger for the disc side of a disc/drum master cylinder.

I would warn against using a non-adjustable proportioning valve in a 4 wheel disc application. Metering valves are an entirely different beast and are recommended for almost all applications. Could this be what you are thinking of?

You should be able to use the distribution block from an all drum car for your 4 wheel disc system. This will contain no proportioning valve at all, you can add an aftermarket adjustable unit if you desire.

Also note that you will want to change your master cylinder to get rid of any residual pressure valves that are necessary for drum brakes.

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Well said. There exists a lot of confusion between the purposes of metering valves, residual valves, and proportioning valves. Master Power Brake Corp. has a nice technical article on this subject on their website.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!! I took a Brakes class at the local junior college and have a book still from the class. Next time i have a minute ill drag that book out and re-read all the technical issues. Ive been meaning to get around to it but this holiday season has been hectic. Thanks again!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is the new SSBC proportioning valve adjustable? That would really be necessary with all the different rear disc options available.
Yes it has the knob built right into the dist block. It comes in black and polished.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts