Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to swap in 4 wheel disc brakes on my 1970. I will want to keep my power brakes (have 4 wheel power drums right now) and I would like to know what people are using for a master cylinder. I've heard everything from a "corvette type" to some Lincoln Mk7/8 to SVO Mustang MC's.

What are you using and what did you have to do to make it work? What issues are there with some of these units?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Baer brakes, 13" track on the front, 12" touring on the rear, and Baer supplies the master cylinder.

Brian

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Part numbers for the ALUMINUM "SVO" (+others) master cylinder:

A-1/Cardone #10-1897
Bendix #R11897
Brakebest #MC39447
Wagner # F105806

Most rebuilders have both aluminum & cast iron under the same part # since they are functionally identical - best bet is to go to the warehouse & open boxes if you HAVE to have the aluminum version. Prices are around $20-$27 exchange for rebuilt & $65-$95 for new ones.

ANY parts store worth a dang should be able to cross-reference at least one of the above numbers. It is 1-1/8" bore, 4-wheel disc, with engine-side outlets.

Also worth a look are the Versailles/Granada master cylinder - A-1/Cardone #10-1604 (or 10-1614), and the 1993 Cobra Mustang MC Brakebest #MC390125.

Here's the aluminum SVO:
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/75/4E/47634293-593e-02000180-.jpg

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I am using the SVO also...

http://whittz.com/v-web/gallery/albums/Phase1/Picture_051.jpg

·
Registered
768 Posts
OK I dont think the 4 wheel disc master cyls listed will work with a brake booster. Just finished a conversion into a 67 and these masters were to long with a booster. We talked to Stainless Steel Brakes and they say that the stock Disc master will work fine. Just remember to remove the residual valve from the master and install a proportioning valve.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
FWIW, the Mk7 MC is the SVO aluminum unit. For some odd reason, it's a little easier to find out here in the sticks though.

Also, if the stock booster is 7" long & 7" diameter like the other stock ones I've seen, keep in mind the SVO MC is a hair over 8" long, and you only have a touch over 14" to work with between the firewall and shocktower. You'd need a shorter booster (MustangII or Fox 2.3 unit) or an MC closer to the 7" of a disc/drum unit...maybe the GVM 4xDisc unit would do it. I'm not comfortable using a MC other than one designed for 4xDiscs because the extra capacity in the 4xDisc MCs is there because the calipers need it, not for show and tell.

FIWIW, I'm going to be running a MustangII booster & SVO MC. The MII booster is 5.5" long + 8.125" SVO MC = 13.625. This looks like it will fit great, and clear the clutch rod hole great, so I can bolt up my JMC hydro clutch setup. I'm going to try and test fit it by Christmas.
HTH
--Kyle
PS: FWIW, Baer reccomends a 1" bore mininmum for the 13" setup, and at 1.125" the SVO unit will do it at 1/4 the price of Baer's big ugly MC.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Ford Racing also lists a four wheel disc MC. It's rather cheap, aluminum and has a 1" bore.

The bore size you need depends on the calipers. The 1.125" SVO/MkVII MC was designed for front calipers with big 73mm/2.87" pistons (also large) 2.125" rear caliper pistons.

2x1.75" Baer calipers only have 75% of the surface area for example. A 1" would probably work good. A 1.125" MC has a 25% larger surface area and therefore gives 25% less line pressure with the same pedal force. Not a problem if the calipers are also 25% larger, but a large MC, small caliper piston is not the best solution.

I have too little experience to say which combo works best, but what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't just bolt something together that physically fits, without checking how everything relates.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My plan is to run calipers from a 94-04 Cobra, or Mk7's in the rear. I'm unsure of the size of the pistons however. That is a good point with about the surface areas of the cylinder and calipers.

Also, what was said about the SVO units does raise a question for me as I do plan to retain my power brakes. Is it possible to bolt the SVO unit up to my stock booster?

Nostangyet- have you been able to fit up your M2 booster with the SVO MC? Any luck?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The Mopar truck master works great. SAE threads and ports on the fender side. Super popular with the Street rod guys also.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Bumping this one up again.

In my 69, I can't fit the SVO or Wilwood 8-1/4" long M/Cs on my booster because they hit the shock tower.

Is anyone aware of a 1-1/16" or 1-1/8" MC that will fit between the booster and shock tower? Searching returned conflicting advise about the 94-96 V6 Mustang M/C may be somewhat shorter than the SVO but still be for disc/disc. My stock disc/drum one appears to be around 7-1/4" or so...

(Wilwood 6 piston in front, 4 piston in rear)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I am using a "Master Power" booster with the cast iron svo master. it fits fine in my 69 coupe. I bought it as a set from master power....

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
gsxrken said:
Bumping this one up again.

In my 69, I can't fit the SVO or Wilwood 8-1/4" long M/Cs on my booster because they hit the shock tower.

Is anyone aware of a 1-1/16" or 1-1/8" MC that will fit between the booster and shock tower? Searching returned conflicting advise about the 94-96 V6 Mustang M/C may be somewhat shorter than the SVO but still be for disc/disc. My stock disc/drum one appears to be around 7-1/4" or so...

(Wilwood 6 piston in front, 4 piston in rear)
Are you sure your going to need pwr on 4wh disc?
Ny 65 with 4wh disc pulls up the pavement with just manual.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
BLISTIC said:
Are you sure your going to need pwr on 4wh disc? Ny 65 with 4wh disc pulls up the pavement with just manual.
No, I may drop back to manual if I find I have to. But since the power pedal ratio is like 4:1 and the manual is like 6:1, going to manual is not as simple as just pulling the booster. The pedal clusters are a PITA. I'm hoping to stay with the power setup and get the largest bore I can to lessen pedal sensitivity and get a nice high, short-stroke pedal. We'll see :)

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
I have SN95 rear discs (Untested yet. See no reason why they wouldn't work) and stock 68 fronts. I will be using the SN95 m/c...

Not to hijack, but a question as you guys speak of manual/power.. Is it possible to run a manual brake pedal using the Sn95 m/c.. Would this setup be crap if I did that.. DOn't have a booster at the moment, and have a stock manual brake pedal.. Thinking maybe I should just go manual braking, but I'm used to new cars (Never driven a car without power brakes).. Bad idea?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
JohnnyK said:
I have SN95 rear discs (Untested yet. See no reason why they wouldn't work) and stock 68 fronts. I will be using the SN95 m/c...

Not to hijack, but a question as you guys speak of manual/power.. Is it possible to run a manual brake pedal using the Sn95 m/c.. Would this setup be crap if I did that.. DOn't have a booster at the moment, and have a stock manual brake pedal.. Thinking maybe I should just go manual braking, but I'm used to new cars (Never driven a car without power brakes).. Bad idea?
No problemo, it'll work just fine.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Thanks for the reply man.. Now the sn95 m/c is meant to accept the pushrod from a booster.. How would one get the other manual pushrod on there.. guess I need to procure one from somewhere.. You don't think it'll feel weird? I'm afraid of with the 4 wheel disc it'll feel like a power car with a broken booster.. :D And how does that mount on these cars.. I assume I need to make some sort of 1/4" bracket or something. Can't just mount to the firewall, my foot would rip the firewall right out I'd think..

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
you'll need the 67 pushrod....the power mc's use the same type pushrod.

the mc just mounts to the firewall...chintzy but it works. firewall plating is common on racercars tho :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm not sure if your Mustang is a '68?, but if so, and if it was alreay equipped with manual brakes, then the stock MC would have bolted directly to the firewall without any additional reinforcement.

The SN-95 MC has the very same flange pattern as your stock MC had, so it would also bolt right to the firewall as well.

Also, the '67-'70 model Mustangs have the advantge of having an additional panel layer thickness, from the factory, in the area where the MC/power brake booster mounts, that the '65/'66 models do not have.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts