Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mustang Steve used to have a lot of tech info on using the modern MC. Now he just sells the kits It seems.
Here is what he uses. I think it’s the 94/95 MC

Master Cylinder for Power or Manual Brakes Disc/Disc or Disc/Drum* - Mustang Steve
Best I could figure from his forum is that things have stayed the same with the firewall being the front and radiator being the rear. Still would like so first hand conformation on the ports. Thank you for posting the Mustang Steve forum option!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Don't know if this is an option, but if you had a brake line pressure gauge handy you could plug it into each port and see which one is the highest?

-Shannon

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Don't know if this is an option, but if you had a brake line pressure gauge handy you could plug it into each port and see which one is the highest?

-Shannon
Thanks for the reply Shannon. It could be an option with another Amazon order. I was kind of trying to rely on those that had gone before me. For all I know the front and rear ports are identical in flow?

I like the fact that the aluminum MC weighs about a 10th of the cast iron brick! I will weigh the difference this weekend.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The rear port/reservoir is for the front brakes.
Thanks! Old habits are hard to brake:LOL:. Easier for me to adapt!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have 2001 v6 Mustang master cylinder with Mustang Steve booster & pedal assembly.

I have used it with my Granada spindles/brakes/proportioning valve and stock 65 rear drums.

Currently using same with 2016 Mustang GT brakes front and rear with Willwood single in/out proportioning valve.

The ports are metric and point towards engine.

I recall Rangers have ports facing fender.
I know later Rangers are metric.

I have rear port to fronts, front port to rears.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have a Dorman master cylinder for a Ranger that is used with manual 4 wheel disc brakes and it works very well and probably better than the Maverick one I had for the last decade. That could just be the placebo effect or maybe the other one slowly degrading over time, but I do like this one much better. It is the smaller bore for manual brakes though. The front port is the rear brakes and the rear port is the front brakes.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What year Ranger is that for?

·
Registered
882 Posts
91 Ranger 1" bore. metric fittings. front port for rear brakes.

Reactions: Nos681

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
So I got the Windstar MC from Rockauto today, closeout, Wagner labeled, made in Taiwan, 30 day warranty, for $40 including shipping and taxes. I have a power brake booster so I don't have to worry about the rod falling out nor do you or anyone else because the hole in the back of the MC for the rod is crazy deep! Anyway my question is which port is the primary for the front disks? On my current MC the rear is for the fronts but if I had to guess things have changed since the 1967 Mustang MC. How do you have your hooked up @dobrostang ?
Sorry Nail, with my Mustang 1200 miles away since Oct, I don't get on this site much. I frankly do not remember which is which. Just look at the relative size of the reservoirs and map them to the relative sizes of your existing reservoir. Bigger goes to bigger etc. I am planning on having the Mustang shipped (company will pay for it) in two weeks (Gulp!!!). Can't wait!!!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sorry Nail, with my Mustang 1200 miles away since Oct, I don't get on this site much. I frankly do not remember which is which. Just look at the relative size of the reservoirs and map them to the relative sizes of your existing reservoir. Bigger goes to bigger etc. I am planning on having the Mustang shipped (company will pay for it) in two weeks (Gulp!!!). Can't wait!!!
No problem, forgot about your car still being up North, I bet your chomping at the bit to drive it again! Thanks to some good replies in this thread I was able to get the 98 Windstar master mounted today with just the usual issues. Because I run a booster and have lowered the Booster/master assembly down 3/4" at the firewall the new M/C only clears the tower by less than an 1/8", and thats after some grinding on the nose of the M/C to achieve that. I had to enlarge the holes in the M/C to a 1/2" so I could angle it into position.

I like how it turned out! I like that my power bleeder just snaps on with the Ford adapter instead of having to try to clamp that big aluminum adapter I had to use with the 67 M/C on. It took almost half the travel out of the pedal before the braking starts. It's not were I want it to be but I think thats as good as it is going to get with a 7" single diaphragm China booster. For some reason the right front is locking up before the left but that has nothing to do with the M/C.
Thanks everybody for the help, definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Reactions: QuietChris
21 - 33 of 33 Posts