Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now i have a granada disc front setup, all manual. I plan on finishing the assembly of my 8", wich includes disc brakes from an 87 LSC, and power brakes. So... I was woundering what kind of proportioning valve and distribution block im going to need. I see alot of people use adjustable prop valves and whatnot. Anyone clue me in on this? How do adjustable proportioning valves work? are their slots they sit at, or is there like a screw you just turn at any point, it changes the proportion? Any info or a link to a page that can gimme a clue on what is goin on will be great. Thanks - Jacob

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I just found the one I was looking for yesterday. It is off an 85 Mustang SVO. The Mustang SVO cars came from the factory with 4 wheel disc brakes so I am hoping this will work fine for me.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm running Granada front and Lincoln MkVII rear discs, with a Street rod style M/C but no power booster. Check out my two disc brake pages here... The Lincoln page talks about the adjustable proportioning valve.

www.midnightdsigns.com/james

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, BTW James, Thanks alot for having your website, its very helpful to me and im sure many others. I have used it over the last 3 years to get additional info on my granada setup, my 66' style dash conversion, and already have been using your site as a resource, ill check out the valve on it. Thanks again for all the great info / detail with pics that you provide me and others! World of Help!

-Jacob

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Damn...now you've gone and made me have to update it....

It doesn't say much about the adjustable valve. All it does is restrict the pressure going to the rear brakes so that you can manually dial in your brake bias. You want it set so that the rears will lock up before the fronts.

If you haven't already, check out MustangSteve's site for more on power brake setups.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I noticed on the site the part on the valve was short, that must have been why i blew past it before. The link is also dead to "SSBC adjustable proportioning valve"

As for the power brakes, I will be purchasing the kit from MustangSteve just as I got my cable clutch setup from him.I am currently doing just about the SAME thing you did in the fastback. - Have a 2.79 gear ratio 8" from a granada. After put in bigger motor, and C4, grew tired of automatic, put in T5. Now 2.79's are a joke. Got a Old narrow-end housing and 3.25 gears, putting on the disc brakes and slapping her in.

Working ALOT on my truck now though, so probably wont get around to actually installing the rear until around the middle of january

Wont talk about my truck here though, for sake of sparking a riot! (It a 1955 2nd series uhh... something... starts with a C )

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I love those TT-IIs you're running... What size are the wheels and tires? Would you go that route again?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yea, I noticed on the site the part on the valve was short, that must have been why i blew past it before. The link is also dead to "SSBC adjustable proportioning valve"

As for the power brakes, I will be purchasing the kit from MustangSteve just as I got my cable clutch setup from him.I am currently doing just about the SAME thing you did in the fastback. - Have a 2.79 gear ratio 8" from a granada. After put in bigger motor, and C4, grew tired of automatic, put in T5. Now 2.79's are a joke. Got a Old narrow-end housing and 3.25 gears, putting on the disc brakes and slapping her in.

Working ALOT on my truck now though, so probably wont get around to actually installing the rear until around the middle of january

Wont talk about my truck here though, for sake of sparking a riot! (It a 1955 2nd series uhh... something... starts with a C )
so the 2nd series is the body style like the 56-57 trucks right? a friend of mine used to have one of the first series 55's with the one piece windshield which i understand is a fairly rare truck, he sold it for 400 bucks, granted it need work but was pretty much rust free.

as for the proportioning valve you can use one from a versailles if you can find one and i believe it is almost a bolt in, might need to use some fitting adapters because some of the lines are different sizes but that's pretty easy. you can also use the SVO or LSC unit and please no one flame me for this but you could also use the valve from a 4 wheel disc 80's trans am.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts