Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 302 i pulled from a 90 mustang it ran fine when we pulled it out. It uses the 1,5,4 2.... firing order when i found tdc the timimg mark was on 0.
For some reason it only wants to start when the timing is around 40* when i try less the timing is off and it wont start.

The long white line is 0 the short line is 10*. There is a hard to see black line that is 30*

Can anyone think of why this is? And does it matter

https://youtu.be/bVHBt-2oqMA

·
Registered
725 Posts
Is the 40 with the vacuum hooked up to the distributor? You check initial with it disconnected and plugged. Or are you using the distributor that came with the EFI engine? If you are you have to disconnect the SPOUT connector when checking initial timing on that one.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't use a piston stop. Just bumped it over till I felt the air push. I started around 10* and kept turning and turning the distributor till she turned over. St about 40* it starts everytime with no problems. At 30* it tries but cant, at 20* nothing happens

·
Registered
34,155 Posts
ALL the 5.0HO's (and 351W) used the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order, unless somebody has changed the camshaft.

On Ford's, number 1 cylinder is the front cylinder on the PASSENGER side. Are you sure you aren't looking at it like a Chevy? LOL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts