Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya all,

Thinking of buidling a 408w with an edlebrock 2090 top end, with a cam with the following specs:
Operating Range1500-6500 RPM
Duration Advertised299° Intake/302° Exhaust
Duration @ .050''235° Intake/238° Exhaust
Lift @ Valve.573'' Intake/.582'' Exhaust
Lift @ Cam.358'' Intake/.364'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle112°
Intake Centerline107°
Intake Timing @ .050"Open 11° BTDC
Close 44° ABDC
Exhaust Timing @ .050"Open 56° BBDC
The extent of my knowledge is that you have to match your cam to your torque converter, to your rear end. I don’t know what would be a good combo to fit this cam, and any advice appreciated! Thanks! -Jaydon

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Jay at broader transmission does custom converters for the AOD. With that top end kit on a 408 probably wont see much power past 5500 RPM. No need for a high stall converter something in the 3,000 rpm range would be plenty with 3.50 gears. No reason to gear it any lower with all the torque a 408 will make. I would go with a better cylinder head and roller cam with at least the AirGap intake or Victor jr intake if you have the hood clearance. otherwise RPM or stealth intake.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jay at broader transmission does custom converters for the AOD. With that top end kit on a 408 probably wont see much power past 5500 RPM. No need for a high stall converter something in the 3,000 rpm range would be plenty with 3.50 gears. No reason to gear it any lower with all the torque a 408 will make. I would go with a better cylinder head and roller cam with at least the AirGap intake or Victor jr intake if you have the hood clearance. otherwise RPM or stealth intake.
I’m not really planning on taking it past 5500 RPM if ever. It’s more of a high performance daily/Town warrior, and doesn’t really have any intention of seeing a strip. With the HCI combo in the 2090, HOPEFULLY should give me the power I’m looking for after I've caught the bug ;) . Edlebrock says that it should have around 9.5:1 CR and yield 525 HP. While these numbers are probably more for sale than anything, I think anything even close to that will satisfy.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
The cam you listed, in a 408, and 5500 RPMs screams anything but high performance.

The converter is the absolute last piece you should buy. Figure out the whole car, from front to back, and then buy a converter. It’s the most important piece you’ll buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts