Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is how mine turned out.

http://www.fototime.com/28E42D8150E9366/orig.jpg

I had them restored by SMS auto, then I picked up the phosphate from Vern Owens. Both business's were a pleasure to deal with.

It was pretty easy to do, the hardest part was seeing through the steam to see if the "fizzing" stopped. I have a stove hooked up outside just for this kind of work. (powder coting, etc.) I just let the part simmer for about a half hour. They did not look very dark when I took them out. I soaked them in used motor oil for about 10 min. then removed them and wiped the hinges down. I then sprayed the hinges with WD-40 and let it soak in. After about another 10 mins. I wiped them all down and gave them another good heavy coat of WD-40 and let them sit all night. This is how they looked this morning.
http://www.fototime.com/0D5AF026A77249A/orig.jpg

Now I need to run them to the body shop to mount the hood and get the new paint buffed out!!!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Very, very nice looking, I just ordered the zinc phosphate myself so hope to have mine done in the next week or two.

What exactly does SMS auto do besides cleaning them?

Are the rivets replaced, or just crimped tighter?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
SMS replaces the hinge pivots with larger rivets and puts the 'X' on the backside. They look really nice when finished but you have to refinish them further for the concours look.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

SMS disassembled sand-blasted and re-assembled with new hinge rivets. They came back to me as raw metal. Very tight.

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
What do they charge? I may do that for my fastback because the hinges seem a little wobbly to me.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent my originals to be restored, I was charged $217 shipped, from upstate NY to Richmond,VA. It took about 5 weeks.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Thanks... everyone loves this sort of reporting

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I just thought "wow" until I realized I pay the same thing for chrome plating on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ive ordered the Vern Owens solution also but, now that I see those hinges the color looks kinda dark to me. They look great but, the original unreastored hinges Ive had seemed to be a lighter silvery gray. Is it the pic or are they supposed to be that dark gray?

JBauer4363

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pic is a little dark, but I've seen both light and dark versions at a couple of shows. I was hoping Jeff or Laurie could comment on the finish.

FWIW My car is a early '66 Metuchen (3/66)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Charles, what do you think of the finish of the hinges? Huh, huh, huh? :p

I'd like to hear from anybody. If they do not look right, I would like to re-do them.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
mike66sue said:
Well Charles, what do you think of the finish of the hinges? Huh, huh, huh? :p

I'd like to hear from anybody. If they do not look right, I would like to re-do them.
Did you use the Zinc or Maganese Phosphate?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Its just my opinion... they look alot darker than original unrestored hinges (at least on a 1970):

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL514/938553/17108184/280943808.jpg

Were they darker on a 66? Or do they lighten up alot up after 30+ years?

JBauer4363

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone.

I used the zinc.

I think the light surface rust that occurs over the 30+ lightens them up.

The springs do seem to be darker. I thought that was BC of the different (spring steel) metal. Although they are out of the flash area a bit. I'll try and post a better pic with some daylight.

·
Registered
665 Posts
How was the surface prepped for phosphating? Had these been bead blasted or ??

30 minutes seems like a long time to have them in the solution and may be part of the reason they came out darker.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They were bead blasted at SMS. It was about a week and a half before I got to treat them.

I agree that the length of time in the solution would be a function of the darkness.

Maybe when they get mounted in the black engine compartment and seen against the dark ivy green paint they might look a little lighter. I shhould see tomorrow BC I'm going to see the car at the paint shop!!! :grin:

We will be assembling the body panels, and if all goes well... I should have it in my garage this comming weekend!! The goal is to drive it to Pensacola for the national show in March.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a number of NOS phosphated parts, some hood latch's etc. They have neen preserved in thier original box's. They look about like your hinges. It is hard to tell from a camera shot, but I think you did pretty good. I talked to Vern this last week about his product after I recieved it. He said that adding a little more solution will add a bit of a sparkle to the part. He said that this was a common appearance. I have an NOS 66 latch that seems to have a bit of a sparkle. Have you seen this Charles?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts