Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

The new Vic JR heads, Performer RPM manifold and custom cam were ready so I drove up to Boston from NJ for the motor work on Sunday morning. My engine (for those who don't remember) is a 69 351W block, 40 over, with a 4 inch stroker kit (forged pistons, crank and rods), all balanced and blue printed. That makes it a 410 stroker.

The new heads and intake were CNC ported by Fox Lake and flowed about 300 at .600 intake lift at 28". The cam was a custom grind for my set up. I plugged all the specs of the heads and cam into my DesktopDyno 2000 and can't believe the results that it predicted. I started with the baseline of my set up which was within a few percent of the actual dyno runs (after adjusting by 18% for driveline loss) so I knew I was starting from a solid point. Then all I did was change three things to see the results. I changed the compression from 10:1 to 10.7:1 (the heads will be milled this week to achieve the 10.7:1 ratio), I input the cam specs and I input the flow numbers and valve sizes from the heads(2.055 intake and 1.600 exhaust). Anyone care to guess how much HP and TQ I picked up on paper? I'll have the car dynoed to tune the carb and maximize the timing when I get it back in two weeks but I can't believe what the software is predicting for flywheel HP and TQ.

Paul
PS Does 18% driveline loss sound about right for a Tremec 3550 5 speed and a 9 inch rear?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice set up. I'm doing a 69 conv. witha 393 coast high stroker and EFI. I still have to pick a set of heads that will work with jba shortie 351w headers. I would like to get a set of afr's but JBA says their headers won't fit them. Where did you buy your tremec? Did you use your old bell housing? Did you have to make room in the tunnel. I will be buying one soon cause my T-5 conversion won't take the 393 torque. Got any advice? Also what compression did you end up with? Did you have to use dish pistons for your set up. Nice looking mach by the way, are those 18" wheels? They look NIIIIICE :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi dnavcrew,

I went with the CHP kit also (Dominator forged kit). Really well engineered stuff. I think the AFR heads use a raised exhaust port (as do the Trick Flow TWR heads). The Vic JR would be a good pick for you. Just have them well ported. I've had my Tremec for about 6 years. Well before anyone was putting T-5s or even thinking about putting Tremecs in vintage mustangs. I don't recall where I got it but it might have been Forte's Parts Connection in MA (check em out at www.fortesparts.com). I believe the original bell housing will work if you use an adapter since the input shaft is shorter. Some catalog shops offer them now along with a tranny support brace. I don't think you will need to modify the tunnel and the shifter should line up with the hole too (maybe a little trimming). My final compression should be 10.7:1 but they haven't milled the heads yet. The CHP Dominator kit comes with Probe forged pistons. Mine were dished and fly cut. The dish produced a 19.3 cc increase while the fly cut was another 4.9 cc. The block will be decked and then the pistons cc'd before the heads are milled so that the compression is exact.

Yup, those are my 18 inch wheels with 255 40 18 tires on the front and 285 35 18 tires on the back. Everyone says it makes the car look like a hotwheels car but it handles so much better than a 15 or 16 inch wheel and the ride is much more comfortable with the coilovers than it was with stiff coils in front and 4 1/2 leafs in the rear.

Good luck with your project, mine took 6 years so far with no end in sight.

Paul

·
Registered
579 Posts
Anyone care to guess how much HP and TQ I picked up on paper?
What are the cam specs? What carb?

Those are very impressive flow numbers...sounds like fun. :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts