Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all decide to join up with you guys and girls today, I have a 1965 a code automatic July 19 build ,what on the carburetor code designates application, from what I have found it could be one of four, C5ZF-D, C5ZF-F, C5ZF-K or C5ZF-M, I’ve checked websites been on the internet really haven’t had any success, l just recently picked up a C5ZF-F knowing that if it wasn’t correct for the application it would be period correct or a candidate for a swap, let me know if there are any text articles or books on this matter or if some could shed some light on this. Thanks Gary

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
C5ZF-F is for a 1965 289 (non-K code) with PCV and automatic transmission. Applicable models were Fairlane/Torino, Comet/Cyclone, Mustang, and Ranchero (not Falcon).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s good to hear that this carburetor is correct for this application, my next question is where did you reference this information from, or is there a text or manual for this, thanks for getting back on the question gary

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
This info comes from Bob Mannel’s small block Ford book - the Bible for all things small block Ford from 1962 - 1970.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just received that book a lot to take in definitely have to go back and review the carb section

·
Registered
97 Posts
The factory shop manual also lists the various stamping and application data. Also the Ford Master Parts catalog.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I was just researching the Mpc books over the weekend but I have a question, there’s text, illustration and accessories I want to buy the ford dealer Manuel’s and there there expensive want to make sure I get the right ones would like to know what your recommendation would be thanks gary

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Gary,
If you have the 1965 Ford Shop Manual and Bob Mannel’s book, I would think that is a pretty comprehensive library for any 1965 Mustang’s 289.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hello to all decide to join up with you guys and girls today, I have a 1965 a code automatic July 19 build ,what on the carburetor code designates application, from what I have found it could be one of four, C5ZF-D, C5ZF-F, C5ZF-K or C5ZF-M, I’ve checked websites been on the internet really haven’t had any success, l just recently picked up a C5ZF-F knowing that if it wasn’t correct for the application it would be period correct or a candidate for a swap, let me know if there are any text articles or books on this matter or if some could shed some light on this. Thanks Gary
For a July 19th, 1965 schedule build the C5ZF-D is the concours correct model. The last known run of Autolite 4100 C5ZF-F carbs were assembled 5th week of March '65 (5CE), with the C5ZF-D being used for remainder of '65 production (V8 C-code, A-code with A/T). last known C5ZF-M and C5ZF-K were assembled in January '65 and December '65, respectively. Bob Mannel's book is an amazing reference, however does not get this in depth on application to what I am telling you, nor does the Ford Shop Manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did the best I could with the Manuel’s book and the tag book and bought a C5ZF-F and you’re right neither book gets that far in it I’ll ether try to do a swap, find another one or last resort use it, thanks for responding with this great information very helpful thank gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts