Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a 427 engine which I believe to be from an F600 truck. It's a short block. Is this the same block as a car block?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Why do you think it is a 427?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
F-600's never came with 427's.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
dustyrelics said:
You shouldn't have told him, I wanted to hear his explanation why it was a 427 ;^ )

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
tlea said:
dustyrelics said:
You shouldn't have told him, I wanted to hear his explanation why it was a 427 ;^ )
Sorry Tlea, I didn't mean to ruin your fun. My wife does that all the time to me. I'll be faking like I don't know the answer to something (like yesterday 8+8) so the kids will (4&7 YO) and my wife will blurt out the answer as if I didn't know it was 16! I will look over at her like Duh!

I was trying to recal what they huge engine was that Ford made to put into firetrucks and stuff, like a 532. Maybe that's what he's talking about.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
dont be discouraged. I found a 428scj in a pickup, and YES, it was an scj as I tore it down to verify it.... go to this site http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/
to find out more. To keep from muddying the water leave out the part of where you think the motor might have came from.....Just ask how to indentify it.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Didn't they put some 391 CID in those trucks?

·
Registered
447 Posts
You might find a transplant in a pick up but not a f-600. and if it is a scj you should have had a prety good clue just by seeing the cookie cutter on the crank snout

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Most of the F600's I was around in the oilfields had 370 gas engines (385 series) and Warner T-19's and 2 speed rears.

I also saw similar powerplants in the gas-powered rigs PG&E used that were Ford. They also had some big GM V6's in other of their line trucks. The really big trucks had diesels. I recall some really old rigs with the 391 FE's...

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off, I have not seen this so called 427 short block nor have I seen the truck and the ad is not very clear on if the 427 is from the truck or if the seller is selling another engine and trans from an F600. So I simple asked if the F600 ever came with a 427 so that I can try to figure out what the seller is realing selling. A simple yes or no question.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to add to the story, the seller mentions the F600 having an Allison trans? No mention of year either. Waiting for the seller to get back to me with some pics. My gut feeling is the 427 short block will be gone before I get a reply back.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yeah but a simple yes or no question would have been answered and I wouldn't have been educated on all the other info ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
trialsguy said:
Yeah but a simple yes or no question would have been answered and I wouldn't have been educated on all the other info ;)
But it doesn't seem we've learned anything yet!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Simple yes or no. The second reply was no wasn't it?

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
slim said:
Simple yes or no. The second reply was no wasn't it?
slim, yes the second reply was a simple answer. My first reply is for tlea, no one else. If you look in the upper left corner of my reply you would have seen this! The others had something to share unlike...

·
Registered
90 Posts
RTM, Ford did indeed make a 427 truck motor. From what I understand,it does not have cross bolted mains, and has a unique crank snout. I've been told the crank is steel, and can be reworked for performance FE applications.
Googling the text "ford 427 truck engine" produced this link, http://www.fordification.com/FEcasting-numbers.htm
May want to try next time you have have an important question.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Sorry, it came up "page not found". I'm just trying to learn anyway!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
RTM said:
slim, yes the second reply was a simple answer. My first reply is for tlea, no one else. If you look in the upper left corner of my reply you would have seen this! The others had something to share unlike...
I'm sure to your way of thinking it was a smart a** question but I was looking for a specific answer that would have been educational to you as well as others. You also did not state in your first post whether you had seen it or not just "I found a 427". I'm not a mind reader. There is something on many FE truck motors that leads people to believe they are 427s when in fact they are not. So don't be so quick to judge when you are the one looking for info and you don't understand why a followup question is asked.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts