Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I’m new to the forum as I have been getting my 69 Shelby gt500 (428cj) running and back on the road after 40 years. Currently the engine is freshly rebuilt, back in and running. Timing is set initial at 12 degrees. When idling vacuum is at 9 and when dropping into drive (manual says to tune in drive with lights on) it reads no more than 14. Checked everywhere for vacuum loss, but not finding any leaks. Thinking it should be about 18+. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian- thanks for the reply. We went everything stock on the rebuild. Went with a new comp cams camshaft with factory grind. Only getting 9 at idle. I wish I could see 19. Sprayed down everything on engine for any leak points, but no change in RPM all around the engine to indicate a leak. Added a few photos to see what we are working with.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Regardless of spraying everything down and finding no leaks, I would recomend pulling all vacuume lines from the intake and card, plugging all ports and lines. This includes trans modulator line and brake booster, pcv, valve covers, distributor advance, etc..., seal that thing up. Leaving only the vacuum gage connected. Fire it up and check the guage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts