Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor that built my 289 called me today and said that he traded a Pontiac "Fiero" I think. For a 428 that came out of a mustang. He wasn't sure what year. I was thinking 68 was the year they put the 428 in a few stangs. I don't have the numbers yet, but was wondering if this is something that I should get. He traded him, thinking I might want this motor. The car he traded for it wasn't very nice and was wasting away.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
67-70 were the years for the 428 in the stang

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
If its a 428 from a 68 Mustang its a CJ unless Shelby could be a CJ or PI.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Yeah, or it could be out of a T-Bird....Galaxie, full size Merc.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Oh that's just great! I've been actively hunting a reasonable 428 for 6 months and one just falls in your lap!!! :: Congrats

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
First, you need to determine whether it's truly a 428 or a 390 or some other FE block engine. Externally they all look very similar but there are distinguishing characteristics to the trained eye.

Next, you should determine if the engine is originally from a Mustang (engine code "R")or some other Ford product like a Galaxie or a T-Bird (engine code "Q"). After all, a lot can happen in 35+ years including engine swaps. Knowing what you've got is an important step in determining value.

Lastly, you need to determine what condition it is in from a wear standpoint. It may already have been rebuilt and bored to its wear limits in which case it may be best used as a boat anchor.

There is a FE forum whose members have a vast wealth of knowledge but I don't have the link handy. Hopefully someone else has it and will chime in.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get the numbers tomorrow. He thought it came from a 68 mustang. Guy told him the car was totaled over twenty five years ago and his dad took the motor and trany out. When the dad died, they cleaned out the old barn and it was in there.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Check the back of the motor, a 428 will have a C or A scratched in it. The scratch will look like a weld mark. If thats present you can verify by knocking out the center freeze plug on the passenger side, it will have 428 cast in the water jacket at the base between the cylinders, it would be hard to see if the exhaust manifolds are still on the heads. Next check the exhaust manifolds, if there are 8 bolts holding it to the head it most likely will be a 428 from a Galaxie or Thunderbird. Last you could pull the pan, the crank will have 1U 1UA or 1UB cast into the counterweight towards the rear of the crank.
You may have a nice motor coming to you but check it out thoroughly...

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Look for C80E part numbers on the heads and intake.

·
Registered
441 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts