Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be consulting with a couple of different camshaft manufacturers about this, but, let's hear from you, if you have one, what you are running.
428, 0.030 over
Trick flow aluminum heads
Factory iron exhaust manifolds
single 4bbl carb (700 to 800 cfm)
67 Mustang hardtop
Automatic trans
3:50 or 3:70 rear end

1) I want to keep the power brakes
2) rather smooth idle
3) doesn't have to be the fastest car in town
4) streetable
5) hydraulic roller cam desired

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Rodd, are you willing to ditch the cast iron exhausts ? Those buggers are SERIOUSLY hurting you, especially if you have the nice heads. The iron exhausts are restriction on the stock iron heads---- like 45-50 hp of restriction ! Can we gently nudge you into the FPA direction ? And what is the intake and carb you have now ? LSG

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Call Brent Lykins at Lykins Motorsports. He specializes in FE builds. And has dynoed a lot of combinations. He will be able to spec a cam for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The FE hydraulic roller cams on the market are fairly aggressive and have some lope to them. You will probably have to get a custom ground cam to have performance and a smooth idle with plenty of vacuum.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not the question you asked but ya you need to ditch the manifolds. Just no good reason to keep them in a custom build and they are really gonna hold you back.
I don't have a roller but the hydraulic cam in my 428 would meet your needs if you change directions.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want the hassle of the headers. I am willing to switch to the better flowing 68/69 428 CJ cast iron manifolds. And more likely to do that.
Intake: aluminum Ford PI intake
Fuel system: Holley EFI Sniper (likely)
Won't mind a custom grind cam at all.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
You will probably have to use the CJ manifolds on the Trick Flow heads…..I don’t think the 390 manifolds will line up properly with the ports, and you will have one bolt that definitely won’t. (The passenger rear upper bolt, it will probably halfway into the exhaust port) You are definitelt giving up a lot of power even with those. My FPA headers have been hassle free for about 15 years……

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1) got a nice reply from Brent, but, no advice about a camshaft other than the aftermarket choices are limited.
2) the Edelbrock catalog has 2 selections, one probably a little tame, it has no roller lifters. The other is too much power and low vacuum.
I'll be calling for some special cam advice to a couple of cam grinders.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Rodd, if you are going to go hydraulic roller, you should think about having one cut. I don't have the lobe profile numbers hhandy, but if your keep the exhaust bottled up with the cast irons, how about something like 225~230 on intake and 235~245 on exhaust, as measured @ .050. Keep the lobe spread WIDE, like 114 or 116. Don't let anyone try and tell you to run it narrow. LSG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts