Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i got my 428cj engine it didnt have the right heads or non adjustable valve train installed. i have now installed a set of rpm heads and the rocker arm shafts from a 390. I did not have the hardware to install the rocker shafts so i took the hardware from a 360/390 i had in a truck. i removed the bolts and installed them in the same order with the rocker shafts i have now. the problem i am having is the oiling bolt bottoms out in its hole and it did not in the stock position on the cast iron head. has anyone else run into this problem. i could just put another washer underneath the bolt head but it was not this way on the stock head.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of a followup on the valvetrain problem I am having. I talked to Edelbrock tech today and he explained to me that Edelbrock recommends their stud kit for valvetrain installation because of threadware from removing and installing the rocker shaft. He also explained that bolts bottoming out is a normal thing with these heads and that in the cylinder head installation instructions the solution is to shorten the bolt that is too long. I do not want to pony up the 102 bucks for the stud kit when all i need is two bolts shortened to finish the install. I do not have to worry about the threadware because i will not be removing and installing the rocker shaft multiple times

1 - 3 of 3 Posts