Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt the 428CJ in the Cougar with a mostly stock build with Comp Cams kit #CL330224-3. Everything came out fine except for lifter clatter after it gets warm. Any ideas... pushrods need to be longer? Go to an adjustable rocker arm set up? Thanks

P

·
0 Posts
Tell us more . . . . original rocker arms and shafts? No noise before? original pushrods?

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
If the cam has a reduced base circle, that will be your issue probably.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I am no big block expert but I know the FE engines used shaft mounted rocker arms and I thought the 428 CJ had the adjustable rocker arms from the factory:

Paul

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am no big block expert but I know the FE engines used shaft mounted rocker arms and I thought the 428 CJ had the adjustable rocker arms from the factory:

Paul
Hi Paul, the 428CJ used the non-adjustable shaft like most all FE's. I believe only the 427's with solid lifter motors ran adjustables.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Hi Paul, the 428CJ used the non-adjustable shaft like most all FE's. I believe only the 427's with solid lifter motors ran adjustables.
If you have no other way to adjust the lifter pre-load then you will need adjust via pushrod length. Have you verified that the noise you are hearing is in fact due to insufficient lifter pre-load? With the valves closed can you move the pushrods up/down between the lifter and rocker arm with your fingers?

Paul

P

·
0 Posts
Only mechanical camshaft FEs had adjustable rockers. CJs were non-adjustable. But it was more than just 427s, some 390s and 406s had mechanical cams as well. Switching to adjustable rockers is something I do to mine. It allows a bit more rocker ratio along with the adjustability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts