Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle is pulling the 71' cyclone 429 CJ and toploader out of his 73' mach 1 in order to install a stroker 460 and a c6. He hit me up about the value of the motor/trans. I'm not a big follower of the 385 engine family. The motor looks to be bone stock original right down to the grease. Cranking compression was 150 psi on the gauge which was surprising, starts, runs well, not pretty to look at. Anyway, any 429 guys out there have any idea on a number?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
My uncle is pulling the 71' cyclone 429 CJ and toploader out of his 73' mach 1 in order to install a stroker 460 and a c6. He hit me up about the value of the motor/trans. I'm not a big follower of the 385 engine family. The motor looks to be bone stock original right down to the grease. Cranking compression was 150 psi on the gauge which was surprising, starts, runs well, not pretty to look at. Anyway, any 429 guys out there have any idea on a number?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Does it have the original heads, intake and carb?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Its worth more than the 460 at least. I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't get his thinking on that swap unless the 429 is not in as good of shape as suggested.

edit - even though the 460 is stroked, it just seems the 429 with the same amount of money spent on it would be worth much more. But that said I'm thinking a 429 CJ with a top-loader with it, in good rebuildable shape, air-cleaner to pan, would be worth around $4 - $6K at least, more to the right buyer if its just needing re-sealed. Any chance it has the external oil-cooler and is an SCJ?

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
Its worth more than the 460 at least. I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't get his thinking on that swap unless the 429 is not in as good of shape as suggested.

edit - even though the 460 is stroked, it just seems the 429 with the same amount of money spent on it would be worth much more. But that said I'm thinking a 429 CJ with a top-loader with it, in good rebuildable shape, air-cleaner to pan, would be worth around $4 - $6K at least, more to the right buyer if its just needing re-sealed. Any chance it has the external oil-cooler and is an SCJ?
Assumed that he could recoup a significant portion of his investment in the 460 stroker, rather than butcher an original 429CJ powertrain? I think he's correct and made a smart move. 385 series blocks are a dime a dozen to build a hi performance engine out of, not so with original 429CJ engines.

$4k ~ $6K seems about right, possibly more. Personally, I'd give it a mild cleanup and leave it alone if it's relatively untouched, as the purists will want to see the factory paint marks and tags.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Assumed that he could recoup a significant portion of his investment in the 460 stroker, rather than butcher an original 429CJ powertrain? I think he's correct and made a smart move. 385 series blocks are a dime a dozen to build a hi performance engine out of, not so with original 429CJ engines.

$4k ~ $6K seems about right, possibly more. Personally, I'd give it a mild cleanup and leave it alone if it's relatively untouched, as the purists will want to see the factory paint marks and tags.

+1 a rebuildable CJ quadrajet carb alone is worth $1200 bucks. Do you have the rev limiter?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts