Vintage Mustang Forums banner

429 into 66 mustang

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  SAC69 
#1 ·
before i start this fiasco i've got a 66 mustang w/o engine and a 429 laying on the ground . short of sliceing up the engine compartment does anybody know if there is a way of straight bolting it in and what parts are needed

#2 ·
No. The 429 fits, just barely, in the 67-70. (The 71 was built for it, of course).

To get a Lima engine into a 65-66 will require major chopping and modification.

#4 ·
A freinf of mine did it, he took a front clip from a 67 and put it on his 65 fastback,worked at real nice,he wound up putting a 460 into it,the biggest problem was the headers,he got them from Kooks on long Island,he actually has a boss 429 he's contemplating putting in but then he has to do the towers like his original Boss 429

#6 ·
Well, aside from requiring massive surgery on the car and making the car vastly nose-heavy...

A 351W will fit, just barely, or a GM LS-family motor, and either one can be built out to close to (or a bit over, in the GM motor) 7 liters if you want to spend the money and really think the car needs that much motor.

#7 ·
Well, aside from requiring massive surgery on the car and making the car vastly nose-heavy...

A 351W will fit, just barely, or a GM LS-family motor, and either one can be built out to close to (or a bit over, in the GM motor) 7 liters if you want to spend the money and really think the car needs that much motor.
Blasphemy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.