Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vast Mustang contacts, (two friends), have located a guy who says he has a '70 Mach1 429. I talked to him and he says he has an original engined 429. He is Hispanic and we were talking on a cell phone. I asked him if he had a Cobra Jet. I couldn't make out the reply but I thought I heard "Hemi". My friend is taking pics and I should get them, and VIN, tonight.
My references show that the 429 was only offered in '69 and '70. No other versions except the BOSS! So.. what are the chances that I have located a Boss 429? Maybe he has a 428 and can't tell the diff? Maybe he has some other later model 429 variant?
Get me up to speed here , m8s.
RT

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Maybe you should give me his phone number..no sense in you running around to see the car..I have more free time..*Snickers*

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeez, when am I going to learn? Talk about a let down.
The possible '70 Mach1 429 is in fact....
a '73 F code! LOL
RT

G

·
0 Posts
so what was with the hemi talk???? does he have one in the barn or something??????

G

·
0 Posts
Wish I had a dime for everyone with a 2 bbl Boss 302..... Does the '73 look salvageable? I'm looking for one for a big BIG block project.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 429 was also offered in 71 as a CJ or SCJ. Monk

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Don't think a 429 was put in a Mach I in "70". Several possibilites;
1. 302 bored out to 429 (Use your imagination)
2. 390 car strrrrrrrretched a little
3. 429 dropped in an otherwise non-429 car
4. Buyer-bait

Someone that doesn't know much about Mustangs (as the seller in this case) won't know that the engine code is the 5th character in the VIN#.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts