Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, what a nice guy this local guy turned out to be. He tells me he will find a nice 82 351W HO in excellent shape to exchange for my 69 429 Thunderjet (in excellent shape). I figure, ok hes going to come out on top, but I just want a decent 351W I can build up on.

Anyhow, being the skeptic I am, I look in the local classifieds and find this motor for $50 (a 351W). I figure, hmmm, he would'nt try something really cheesy would he? Well I call this guy up and when I mention the 69 mustang, he says "Do you have a friend looking for a motor for you as well?". So I talk and find out this guy (Al) was going to go buy this crusty motor, missing most components for $50 to swap for my 429!

Oh well, I guess thats what you get for trying to be honest and expecting the same. This guy with the 351W is a chevy guy but he told me he'd buy the engine for $650 on the spot, because he says the 429 is not a common engine (comparitively speaking) and because of the condition. He also mentioned it was worth much more assuming good condition and original (it is, even the air cleaner is!).

Anyhow, how much is this darn thing really worth? I have the original C6 (rebuild 2 yrs ago and barely used) as well, what is that worth?

I thought I'd ask you guys and get a little more informed here.

Chris

+--------------------+
1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code)
+--------------------+

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Although the last running 429 I bought cost me 50.00, I'd say one of that vintage in good shape and air cleaner to pan should bring 3-400.00 to the right buyer...

Add another 100-150 for the trans...those big C6's are pretty common...yours is freshly rebuilt (although to get top dollar, dated receipts would help)...

Personally I prefer buying and selling for cash....swaps sometimes have a way of going sour....unless the trading partner is well known to you or others and has a good reputation...

Glad you caught this one before he got you....

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Sell your block..then take the money and buy a new 351 short block from a reputable company...no muss, no fuss...and it's guaranteed

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://www.geocities.com/theadgroup/t-bird.jpg
The Black Beauty, The old lady in my stable

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the info everyone :)!

I am going to try and just get cash out of it here, or be much more discerning when I look to swap parts from now on. This weekend I'm taking the car to a place where I can rent a sand blaster and all necessary EQ ... going to try blasting the engine compartment here myself, will try for underside but with only a jack that may not go well ... I guess I should just take it to that guys shop and have done, but sandblasting sounds kinda fun .... :)

+--------------------+
1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code)
+--------------------+

G

·
0 Posts
IF you can get $650 for a stock 429, you should sell him all you can get your hands on.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
429/460's are common still although the pre-smog era motors are better for building a hotrod because of the higher compression.

I can get a whole running 70 Ford 1 ton duelly here right now for $600 with a D0VE 429, C6 and 9 inch rear end. Its an old camper somebody got for going to motocross races. They lost interest in it after they made a couple of trips and saw how bad their gas mileage was going to be. He cranks it every now and then. These motors are sort of a got one/want one kind of deal. If you got one and somebody wants one you can get a pretty good deal sometimes.

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/
http://members.aol.com/macstang/Gifs/macstang3.jpg

·
Registered
607 Posts
About a year ago I had a 429 thunderjet out of a 69 t-bird, when I took it for rebuild they told me all the internal parts were for a 460, I know the 429 and 460 are in the same engine class but it struck me as funny that the internal parts were for a 460. After rebuild I sold this engine to a friend of mine for 900 bucks. He still comes up to me to this day and thanks me for the great deal on the engine. It is now in a F-150 truck and he says the thing is strong as ever. I think you could get more for the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts