Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im makeing a 302 to 429 swap in my 70 mustang fastback in a couple of weeks and i am wondering where to get a bellhouseing to be able to use the 429 with the C-4 and is there anything in the C-4 that i can beef up so it can take the abuse ?? or is it just plain better to go ahead and get a C-6 ? i would like to keep the C-4 for a little bit cause i just recently had it rebuilt. but any suggestions would be helpful.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ohh yeah and i forgot to mintion that it is pretty much going to be a stock 429 except (headers,flowmasters,mild cam, edelbrock performer intake and 600 carb.) thanks

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
well.. you can, but i would suggest a mild c6 instead, it would fit the app better i think. Use the fresh c4 as bartering material or something instead of trashing it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ya, eaven a mild 429 will be a bit much for a c4. You could build one to surive, and they do sell adapers, but by the time you do that, you will have spent more money then just getting a good c6. Also it may just be a stock 429 now, but what happands a year or two down the road when you want to build it up a bit?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Unless you want to spend a lot of money to get the C4 built for the torque, forget it....Go with a C6....But, you can use a bell housing from a 351 Cleveland to bolt the C4 to the 460....
Also, you need to rethink the choise of your carberator. The 600 will thirst the 460 to death....Need at least a 750 double pumper, or an 850....The 460 is a thirsty devil, but, you also need the bigger carb just to get enough air for the motor to breath.....
Trust me, you will love the swap....Big Bilcks Rule the World.....

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
An adpater plate from 1/2" aluminum is fairly easy to make...the 385 series engines have a similar looking bolt pattern, just bigger.

The converter/flywheel might need some attention to adapt the crank pilot/BC

Main problem is building the C4 to handle the low-rpm torque of the big block. Aftermarket input shaft (later large diameter unit - 26 spline) as well as overruning clutch and some drum upgrades would be required.

Since your 70 will easily take a C6 in the tunnel, I'd suggest getting one. The 385 C6's are plentiful, inexpensive and durable, albeit with a weight and parasitic loss exceeding that of a C4. Save the C4 for another small block project...they're nice to have around..*G*

·
Registered
680 Posts
Also, I have gone thru the swap in the last few months. If I can help yoiu with any problems, let me know....
My e-mail is in my profile......
Steve

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The 351 cleveland has a small block pattern, unlike the 351M and most 400's, which have the 429/460 bellhousing pattern.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Look around for a 351M/C4 bellhousing, blockplate, flywheel (flexplate), and torque converter. They came in mid-70's Torinos, LTD II's, Tbirds, etc.
Use a "H" intermediate servo/piston from a truck C5, shift kit....

Much less rotating mass in a C-4, should work well behind your mild 429...

351C bellhousings are the small block pattern...Won't fit 429/460 engines.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
That is correct, The 351C bell Housing WILL NOT WORK!.
How do I know? I had a 351C in the FBD before I put the 429 in.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First, unless you have EXPERIENCE with a C-4 & a 460, please don't steer people in the wrong direction. He'll have much more room to say the least. First, ALL 400's & 351M's share the same trans bolt pattern with a 429/460. Second, you DO NOT need an adapter as there are always bellhousings for sale... ask me! Third, Trust me you'll NOT need a C-6! Fourth, I usuallu use an 850 on STOCK engines! Fifth again, a 429/460 is NOT too much for a C-4. I would barter a C-6 to get a C-4 any day. Now... my experience. First, '71 Grande, 377 hp 429SCJ, C-4 from a '77 T-bird, no re-build, 10" converter. 12 flat & ran for 150 passes until I put mu Spoiler back together. Second Stock 360 HP 460 in the same car, drove it like I stole it until I sold it.. still works. Third, 8 second '66 Mustang, 1.21 60' well over 1000 hp on the bottle. Yes it's a race version but I can show you how to build a C-4 to take 700/800 HP reliably for chump change & it'll live as long as any C-6 out there. Don't take this wrong guys, I'm not flaming anyone. I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. I have 15 years of transmission experience & trust me, I know what I'm talking about.
http://www.tulsahotrods.com/ Check out the drag car if ya wanna!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I agree 100%!

I'm running a pretty much stock 68 C-4 behind a 392W that last ran a 12:71ET in a 68 Cougar. Modifictions include;
"H" servo
B&M shift kit
Auxillary transmission cooler

1 - 12 of 12 Posts