Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a price of $455 to replace my headliner in my 67 coupe. And they won't guarantee aginst window breakage. Isn't this too much or is that what I'm just going to have to pay? Most of the other places I called wouldn't even touch it...period! Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
This is one of those things that I'm going to attempt myself. I'm not going to pay 500 dollars to have someone do something that i can do myself and be sure of my work(or at least know that if it's screwed up i can rip it out and buy a new one for 30 bucks)

EDIT: Oh yeah Headliner replacement

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you just don't want to do any part of the job, then take it to a glass shop to remove the glass, then go to the trim shop, and then return for the installation of the glass (preferably with new gaskets).
Check around for a mustang club....there's bound to be someone that has had experience with headliners. I've done them and they're not that difficult.....messy as heck, especially when working with the glass and sealer, but it can be done.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Hey OLDSCHOOL, email and tell me all about that #0029 Gt 350, I own 30036.

The price must include removing both the front windsheild, and the rear window, among the rear seat, package panel, and I think the 2 rear side panels. That's a lot of work, and of course, some people are going to suggest that is still isn't done right. They probably know this and are charging accordingly. Don't forget to buy both window gaskets for this. And, try to find a place that will at least gaurantee no water leaks when they are done.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I say do it yourself. My dad and I did mine and it came out great. The best way is to remove the windshield and back glass. This is the way the factory installed them. You can do the headliner without removing the glass, but it's more difficult. If you leave the glass in you should buy yourself the special tool that is made to push the headliner under the rubber. Either way you'll also need a whole bunch of small clamps and heat gun to shrink the wrinkles. Remove the side window weather strip and moldings. Get a friend to help you and work methodically to stretch the material tightly, but not too tight. Keep working with it until you're satisfied with the results.

Check Mustang monthly for how-to articles on this. The book Mustang How-to Vol.1 also has good article, but it features the glass-removal style install.

Good luck.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like OldSchool's suggestion. Years ago I broke my winshield in my 57 Chevy while trying to get it out and I didn't want to try it again. I'll probably pay to have it removed and replaced and in the mean time I'll do the headliner myself while following the step-by-steps on that great link that was provided. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Lets see. I bought:
new gaskets, Around $40.00
Front Window $153.00
Headliner $28.00 Put in myself
Spray on 3M glue $12.00
Installation of front & rear window $85.00

YOu save about $150.00 give or take a few.

If you don't need to replace either window you save
a lot more.

I think you should try it yourself.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
We charge;

$250 for labor of pulling both windshield & back glass, cleaning both channels, removing backseat and inner ¼ panels, removing old headliner cleaning any rusted areas that might be underneath, installing new headliner, re-installing inner ¼'s and backseat, and installing new window rubbers and both windows, and replacing any old window clips that might be missing or broken.

New seals $40-$50
New headliner $25-$30

Total $315 to $330

We are probably on the low side as I call around locally to check on our competitors, and most others are around the price you were quoted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts