Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oh kay, i got the picture about the 400 (dont put it in) hopefully i can talk my dad out of it, but we found a 460, its in a 77 ford ranger. is there any hope for this engine. im trying to get my dad to wait for a better engine since we wont be dropping it in anytime soon, damn he's impatient, if anyone has a 427 for sell give me a yell. =) ha but fireals, would a truck engine really be worth the trouble, would it even fit in a 67 fbk. if so, can headers be used? is there a difference between a truck engine and a car engine, would there be a problem with motor mounts. etc. basically i just need some help getting my dad to wait. i think there is no point settling for anything when u can just wait a little bit and get something really nice, unfortunately he doesnt see it this way but i can sympathize cuz when it comes to my 66 coupe im very impatient. little taste of my own medicine i suppose. thanx for any advice

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
There really is no difference between a truck and car engine. Its all mainly in the transmission. And what they are set up for, most trucks are made to rev at lower RPM's, and have massive tourqe. If I were you I would go through the motor anyway, just to be sure you dont spend all the work putting it in, then having it blow up on you a month later. You can fit a 460 into a 67 fastback.... I have seen it done. I am told you are going to have to move the shock towers back, like they did on the Shelby's. Motor mounts shouldnt be a problem, if you cant fabricate them yourself, I am sure there are places that sell them, Im not sure right now, but I have seen many kit's for fox chasis mustangs, to fit a 460 right in, so there has to be one for a classic stang also. Sorry I couldnt be of more help....

-Dave Flak

·
Registered
6,070 Posts

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Since you will have to cut and weld to install the 400, why not go with the 460? The 400 and the 460 both have the same bell housing bolt pattern, the 460 has a LOT more performance potential than a 400, Perogie has a conversion kit W/headers. A 460 with a .550 lift cam and a set of D0VE heads would really haul ass! A 400 will give you the potential of getting your doors blown off by stock 5.0's.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II

1 - 4 of 4 Posts