Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been offered a 460 with a c6 from a pickup of 1985. Is that the same motor as in the 60s and 70s or is that a new engine? Will it fit into a -69 mach 1? I have been told it still has a carburetor and not injection. Is the 460 just a stroker 429?
Thanks
Anders

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
I'm sure it has a lower compression ratio than any from 1969

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
After 1971,,those 460's suffered pitifully from bad head design,,and low compression.(8 to 1).If the engine is a free gift,,,take it,,if he wants much money for it,,leave it.I still pick them up here for around 200.00 for the early ones,,the ones with the D1VE blocks.I just bought a 460,,was in a 76 f-150 truck,,cobbled in there with a C6 auto,for 200.00 cash.ran beautiful.Had a D1VE block,,,****ty EGR 1975 heads,,and very dated torquemqster 4V intake with a 2V adaptor cobbled onto it!Turns out the thing is as new inside,,super clean,,been fully rebuilt not long ago,bored 30 out,I got lucky on this one.If you do get one of the later "EGR" smog 460 engines,,be prepared to put the good heads and new flat-top pistons,,along with a modern dual-pattern cam in it.Bottom line is that they are only good for cores to build.That's it.Still a fairly easy engine to find cheap and build into a huge powerhouse reasonable.

·
Registered
305 Posts
poorly manufactured engine. From most of the info I have ever recieved, you should look for engines before 1974 and after 1987. Just what I have read and been told, by repatable mechanics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only difference between a 429 and a 460 is the pistons and crank. after 1972 or 3 the compression went down and the heads got worse. For heads look for the early DOVE head castings from about 1968-1971. They have small chambers and decent flow for factory heads. Also you might want to look into flat top pistons to raise the compression. I think you might have to notch the shock towers to make it fit in a 69 engine bay but I might be wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts