Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine wants to cram a 460 in his 65 stang. Has anyone seen or heard of this being done successfully?

Thanks, Scott

·
7,124 Posts
It won't fit between the shock towers.

If a cutting torch and a large budget are available...anything is possible.

Phil

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I think Id go with a Fox Body or SN95 Mustang before I destroyed a 60's model car .
IMO you will pretty much destroy the car , though a car is your and what you want to do is up to you .
If the budget is bottom of the barrel , Id go with another car . It would be a shame to cut a 65 up to install the 460 then give up mid-way because of budget shortfalls .

·
Registered
235 Posts
U WOULD HAVE TO REMOVE THE SHOCK TOWER TO GET IT IN I INSTALLED A 460 IN MY 67 AND HAD TO MODIFY THE TOWERS ALITTLE AND STILL A VERY TIGHT FIT. THE 67 ARE A FEW INCHES WIDER

·
Registered
235 Posts
U WOULD HAVE TO REMOVE THE SHOCK TOWER TO GET IT IN. I INSTALLED A 460 IN MY 67 AND HAD TO MODIFY THE TOWERS ALITTLE AND STILL A VERY TIGHT FIT. THE 67 ARE A FEW INCHES WIDER

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
U WOULD HAVE TO REMOVE THE SHOCK TOWER TO GET IT IN. I INSTALLED A 460 IN MY 67 AND HAD TO MODIFY THE TOWERS ALITTLE AND STILL A VERY TIGHT FIT. THE 67 ARE A FEW INCHES WIDER
YOU SHOULD STOP USING ALL CAPS AND GET A BETTER INTERNET CONNECTION!!!!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
U WOULD HAVE TO REMOVE THE SHOCK TOWER TO GET IT IN I INSTALLED A 460 IN MY 67 AND HAD TO MODIFY THE TOWERS ALITTLE AND STILL A VERY TIGHT FIT. THE 67 ARE A FEW INCHES WIDER
YOU SHOULD STOP USING ALL CAPS AND GET A BETTER INTERNET CONNECTION!!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Tell your friend that there are plenty of chevy's just begging for abuse...Don't Let your friend butch this car!!! Besides there are other engine choices that can give you extra horsepower.

Other things to consider before adding more ponies is...How does the car stop now??? Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I think it's a bad idea. As the others have mentioned, the shock towers would have to go away the whole front suspension would need to be replaced.

Beyond all that expense and work, it won't handle for squat because of all the weight up front. He would be much happier, and it would be much cheaper and easier for him to do a built up small block.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Much easier with a vert, just fold the top back, the 460 will go in, no probs!

If you have a coupe or FB, you will need a sawzall to complete the swap.

Shagg has a Sawzall if he hasn't burnt it up powering a generator or some crazy chit...

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I would suggest a nicley stroked small block instead of this.
But, what the heck, it's his car.
Besides, who am I to talk. Look at the mess I've made of my fastback!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain and say GO FOR IT - Be a man cut it! Pick the right 460 and you can get 500 horse easily and cheaper than your stroker small block.

www.tdperformance.com makes a nice bolt-in/weld-in motor mount for a 460. I'm not sure if it will work in an early mustang or not.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've seen a 460 in a 67 that wasn't cut. He used custom made headers. I don't think custom headers will help this situation alone. At a car show once I saw a early 60's ford with a 460 in it. It was narrower than the 65-66 stang, a falcon or fairlane, 60-63 maybe. The guy cut the shock towers only where the headers would interfere. He then welded in a thinck flat steel to fill up the holes and bring back the integrity of the towers. Still retained the shocks, but used big block prings. I'm sure he used cutom motor mounts. That thing was mean.

·
Registered
167 Posts
With extra tall motor mounts and a reworked floor pan, you can do it. Car will definitely handle like crap. Or you could cut out the shock towers and go the mustang II route. Then drop it into the weeds and it will handle decent. Much cheaper and easier to put a blown 351W in there.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
A long time ago, I started such a 385 series project with the race car and got as far as dummying up the engine and a Powerglide in the bay before I got distracted by other things. IIRC, the Powerglide would fit in the tunnel with the engine back 2". Whenever someone buys the car, they'll get all those cores, the mandrels and any patterns I still have laying around. The front suspension and frame rails adequately accomodated the engine and heads with high port plates.

Personally, I wouldn't do this swap with a stock chassied early Mustang. I just doesn't have the rigidity to handle the torque of such an engine, nor the ability to adequately put the power to the ground. Not to mention cutting up a car which will never be built again.

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts