Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dream is to put a 460 cranking out 1,000 hp in a classic mustang and i want to to know if there is anyone on here that has done it before and what ya had to do to get it to fit. I think it would fit fine since the 460 block is the same as the 427. And what transmission do ya suggest for 1,000 hp 460. What places did ya go to, to get the parts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My dream is to put a 460 cranking out 1,000 hp in a classic mustang and i want to to know if there is anyone on here that has done it before and what ya had to do to get it to fit. I think it would fit fine since the 460 block is the same as the 427. And what transmission do ya suggest for 1,000 hp 460. What places did ya go to, to get the parts.
Depends on what year Mustang.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
My dream is to put a 460 cranking out 1,000 hp in a classic mustang and i want to to know if there is anyone on here that has done it before I think it would fit fine since the 460 block is the same as the 427.
No, the 460 block is not the same as a 427. Not even close.

Search, and you will find a 460 into a 69 swap on FordMuscle.com

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I stuffed a 429 CJ in my 67 in the early 80's. Ran a C6 behind it. Fast but would not handle the canyons at all. Early 90's the 429 was replaced with a 289/T-5 combo. Much better.

The 429, while a little tight, did fit.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
A 351 stroked to 408 would give you the best of both worlds (power AND handling).

·
Super Moderator
11,447 Posts
It'll drop right into a 67 and up, stroke it to 557 and it'll be a street Beast, AFTER you step up the suspension / frame mods.

·
Dimples
6,530 Posts
Generally speaking, most people feel that in the case of the 460, bigger doesn’t necessarily mean better. There are lighter and more affordable ways to make big power. 460 is good for a farm truck, but regarded by most as a boat anchor in a pony car/muscle car application.

Not saying it’s not possible if you just want big cube bragging rights, but not worth it to most.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ya, I met a guy at a Mustang car show about 10 years ago.
He cut the 1965 Mustang up to get a 460 to fit in and he was all pissed off because it couldn't get out of it's own way!
I said, "U chose the wrong engine for that application!" He wanted to drag race it.
I told him to sell that 460 boat anchor and put a 427FE into it, or at least a 390 with 427 heads, cam, induction system, etc. into it.
The 460 is a big cubic inch torque monster, good for monster trucks and lower rpm useage.
In my book, 460s SUCK! A 429 CJ or SCJ would be a better choice or even a 428FE. But if you want raw power, the 427FEs are the way to go.
However, on early Mustangs, b4 1967, you will have to remove the shock towers to get any big block to fit.
Overall, a 550 horse, 408 Windsor small block will drop right in. Supercharging one would get U closer to that power mark U spoke of, but streetability may be questionable.
U really need to think this out. There is more to a nice driver than brute horsepower and 500 horses in an early 3,000 pound Mustang would be a lot more fun than 1,000 unruly horses. I think U would get real tired of the unstreetability of something like what U spoke of. Just consider the amount of fuel it'll consume and you'll need at least 93 octane gasoline at over $4 a gallon, if not $10 a gallon race fuel or even aviation gas!
Think smart! 🤔

·
Registered
66 Inline 6 (PS/ Auto/ Factory AC Removed)
190 Posts
I put a 460/C6 in a 69.
Super nose heavy (factory coils).
Used custom headers that were all separate & after installed & positioned, the collector was tacked in.
Driver side had one tube that had to be massaged to clear the steering.
No tower cut or clearance issues.
Never hooked up the rear end. Just had it running in park.
Sold it before finishing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
A lot of right and very wrong information in this thread. Yes a small block will make for a much more balanced car but a big block Ford is not a boat anchor. People who say that are stuck in the 70s. With today's aftermarket heads and a 460s super strong block you can make ungodly amounts of power with not a very radical build. Check out the Ford build section and look up the 69 coupe with a stroker big block in it. I believe he's also on here. Not radical at all and should run 9s naturally aspirated.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sorry I should have mentioned the 69 coupe is in the yellow bullet build section.

·
Registered
11,886 Posts
Shoot, back in the 80s drag racers were boring out 460s to make a 500 cubic inch Ford and those were quarter mile terrors. The machine shop where I had my Cleveland done had 460 blocks all over the place. They told me a local guy used them to build drag racing engines and he had more orders than he could fill. Boat anchor? Surely your talking about the 352 and not the 460.

Although a 1,000 HP engine in a classic Mustang sure sounds cool, it won't be good for much. Consider the modern Shelby Super Snakes have traction control and many other advantages and they still can't put all that power to the ground. Turn off traction control and it will melt the rear tires or do a 180 at speed. Yeah, really.

It's your car and you can whatever you want. But I would politely suggest you think hard about your objectives. Are you going to tub the rear and install a multilink suspension? If not, I really don't see the point. My Mach 1 has less than 400 horsepower and it's a lot of fun and sometimes a bit scary on the street.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts