Vintage Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
We made 998 hp with a N/A SBF that had a nitrous cam in it, that was definitely giving up power off the bottle.
Stroker Windsor are stout! BUT in the same vein a similarly modified big block stroker could make how much? 1500? Obviously more than what op is asking but a lot of unrealized potential for a drag car.

·
Dimples
6,508 Posts
Boat anchor. Can’t corner. Tough crowd!
Though I feel I was pretty evenhanded in my critique, I’m happy to learn, and I don’t think I’ll be using the term “boat anchor” again, I think I still have a point.

To lean on the data:
1. 460’s are comparably cheap, even though they haven’t been in wide production for quite a long time.
2. of the hundreds of active members on this site, you can count the number of people running them in their cars on one, maybe two hands.

All I’m saying is there may be a reason for that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We made 998 hp with a N/A SBF that had a nitrous cam in it, that was definitely giving up power off the bottle.
That’s a very stout piece and would definitely not be a streetable engine at over 2Hp per cube. The point I was trying to make was that 1000Hp could probably be made on pump gas and be a fairly tame engine with a cid in the 600” range. I mean you can skin a cat several different ways, it just comes down to what the goal is and how you want to achieve it. We’re lucky to have the aftermarket support for all these engines, which make them all way better than they were just 20 yrs ago.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Count me in the 460 camp! I'm putting a 544 w/Boss heads in my 69 convertible.
Very cool! I hope you are doing a build thread on that!

No wrong answer on any of this. Big Blocks are certainly much harder to install and way overkill for most but far from boat anchors.

GXJETMECH makes a good point that you can get the same power with a lower state of tune (less power per cubic inch). With big cubes you can go without an overdrive transmission because you don't have to run as much rear gear like a naturally aspirated small block. Same principle people use when they add a power adder to a small block. Run a mild combo and add nitrous, blower or turbo. I had originally thought about putting mild gears in my car and just adding a nitrous system but fill up stations are hard to find here.

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,448 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
As for the extra power vs weight. Its not going to be a canyon carver. I dont have one of those by me. The only curvy roads around are by rivers where expensive homes and really big trees are. I used to have a 1000cc motorcycle(169hp). You cant just peg that throttle in all situations. Or lets look at dirt bikes. Nearly anything that you take off road is gonna need some throttle control or you're going to end up off track and in the hospitol. I currently have a 600cc honda dirt missile. Full throttle is only for straight lines on that one.

im working on putting one in a 65 coupe currently. I bought the car after looking at the 12k frames they sell and saying I can make something like that. Havent updated in a while. Becasue ive been working on stuff but not feeling those parts are done yet so no new photos in a while. Junkyard Parrot

I am going mild on the engine. A set of d0ve heads and a vac 770 carb with a c6 behind it. Its eating up the foot box in a way I dont like. My floor is custom so im starting from scratch but I would think that mods to the tunnel are required as the c6 is wide at the bottom.

I have used a mustang II style aftermarket front suspension giving me all the room on the sides. but the 460 dont like it. Its a mid pan engine from a 93 van but the oil pump is a problem. Its up at the front of the pan and creates a clearance issue with the steering rack(not a prob for stock steering and suspension). It has me flying the engine kinda high. leaving little to no room for an air filter. I modded my oil pan to fit the cross member. A thread I looked at with a 460 in a m2 frame had the cross member modded for the pan. The frame should eliminate the twist problem. I would think stock sub frames will probably require frame connectors. A roll cage may help keeping it from twisting.

I got the 460 for $100 found the dove heads out of an estate with machine work on them for $200. the 460 had a rebuild on it and some 15cc pistons. I did a ridge ream and replaced rings and bearings and a rv cam, compression calculates to 10.25 :1

I started the project with just a want for a early mustang that I built myself.

·
Super Moderator
11,438 Posts
The D0VE heads are very cool, but I'd be looking at aluminum for the weight loss and improved performance.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The D0VE heads are very cool, but I'd be looking at aluminum for the weight loss and improved performance.
I changed to aluminum heads to get the weight off the front end for easier steering. The performance improvement was around .3 seconds in the quarter mile for my combo and heads that I used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dream is to put a 460 cranking out 1,000 hp in a classic mustang and i want to to know if there is anyone on here that has done it before and what ya had to do to get it to fit. I think it would fit fine since the 460 block is the same as the 427. And what transmission do ya suggest for 1,000 hp 460. What places did ya go to, to get the parts.
If your interested I have a 76 Lincoln continental with a 460 /C6 in my garage waiting for restoration The car has been sitting a while but it only has 29k on the odometer. I have neither the time or the health anymore to do the restoration.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts