Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody run a 4v carb on an c or f code engine without changing anything internally? My 66 has a 68 302 2v and I recently aquired a 68 4v intake and Holley 600. I also have a 4100 but it needs a total rebuild so the Holley will have to do for now. I am just wondering if the driveabilty will suffer without making the additional chages that the 4v motors received. In addition to the motor listed above I have a 3-spd manual, dual exhaust and 3.25 gears. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Oh just slap it on there- It will work just fine. You will be much happier with it on there. You don't need to make changes to your motor to have a 4bbl.

·
7,078 Posts
I originally put a 600cfm holley 4160 on my c-code with no other change except a new intake manifold. There is a significant performance increase, as well as a decrease in gas milage. You'll probably have to play with your jets a bit (i.e. go smaller 4-6 sizes) to keep it in the ballpark on air/fuel ratio.

Good luck!

Phil

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
No need to change anything else. Down the road, you might want to consider a more aggresive cam if the "need for speed" hits you, else you will have a nice driver with a little more HP that the normal C code. If you stay off the gas pedel, you might even get better MPG. Have fun

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Yep, I agree with everyone else - bolt it on and go! And I DID see an increase in gas mileage with the adition of my Edelbrock 4 bbl. Significant increase in power too. Very, very driveable!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I slapped a factory 4bbl intake and a holley on my stock 390 years ago.....it was non-posi, and the right rear would disappear in a cloud of smoke!!! It would burn all the way thru 2nd gear

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Did that with every car my brothers and I had back in highschool...never a problem. Plus, much better burn outs! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
884 Posts
A 2 barrell will be fine up to about 3000 RPM (when the engine starts asking for more gas and air).
A 4 barrell will fill that gap and deliver power when the 2 barrell starts to fall off.

I assume you are installing a carb with vacuum secondaries....that's the way to go !

No need to change the cam unless you want even more power.

Greg.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It'll work but you do not get the synergy that comes from having all balanced parts. That carb will support more performance than you will get from your current set up. Putting on the carb will lead you to the dark side where headers, large cams and free flowing heads live. Be very careful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts