Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I'm getting closer and closer to figuring out how to make the AOD-E 4R70W work in my '65. Tonights tidbit was the arrival of a used cable shifter from a '98 Mustang (same as my used tranny). It looks like it is going to be SO EASY to convert a stock C4 shifter to operate the cable!

Check this out Project Overdrive .

Like Columbo used to say, "There's only one thing that bothers me." If this is as easy as it looks to be...and junkyards across America are full of these shifters you can pick up for a song, why don't people do this instead of using that high dollar Windsor-Fox linkage for AOD swaps???

Phil

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I couldn't tell from the picture for sure but it looks like your shifter would not sit right in the opening of a 71-73 console. I got the 91 shifter from the GT when I did mine but was not going to butcher the console to make it work. I think you got a heck of a deal at $35.00 for yours. I'm willing to bet that it would have been a lot more at a local salvage yard. Congratulations, I think it would look good in a 65 or 66.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
That would be such a cool swap! Keep us informed and lots of jpegs please!
Are the ratios the same as an AOD?

·
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh no no no.

I'm not going to use the '98 shifter. I'm going to just use the cable from it, and frankenstein that onto my stock '65 console shifter. That way the shifter/console will remain stock to all appearances, but I can use the '98 cable to actuate the tranny.

However, it is nice to have the entire shifter to figure this out, because I can see exactly how it operates and then reverse engineer that with the '65 shifter.

Phil

·
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. 4th and 3rd are the same, but 1st is 15% lower than a C4/AOD and I believe 2nd is lower as well. That will mean I'll get the same advantage I would have off the line with a 2.79 X 1.15 = 3.21 rear axle ratio. The fun would really begin if I switched to about a 3.50 rear axle...which would be equal to 4.02 (almost 4.11) on a C4 car, but I'd still be cruising at less than 84% of my current rpm in overdrive (4000 rpm becomes about 3350 rpm).

Gear ratios on early AOD-Es were not all wide ratio like mine, but the later ones are. Baumann Engineering's Performance Guide has a lot of great information on most Ford automatic transmissions. You probably know most of this stuff already Art.

BTW...if this doesn't work, I'm going to PM you and have you convince me I CAN rebuild my own C4 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. Your post about all you need is a rebuild kit and two c-clamps really got my interest. Looks like professionals want close to $500 plus any extras (like a shift kit). It also looks like the parts run less than $150 INCLUDING a shift kit.

Phil

·
Registered
19,980 Posts
Phil, if anyone will be able to do this swap, I think it would be you! Best of luck, looking foward to following your swap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts