Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read quite a bit but still gathering info. My 67 coupe is a auto and after considering the T5 swap Im looking alot more at the 4 speed auto. Other than the controller I could probably come out cheaper with the auto unless I go crazy with all custom stuff. I have had sticks for ever and just looking at a different idea. Anyways I know V6 engines have the same bolt pattern as a Windsor and Im planning on 351. I also read years 2000 and above are improved and a better product so Im just looking for knowledge and input.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a good read. I knew there was info here Ill keep looking. Im leaning towards a GPS speedo so if Im not mistaken I can go up to 2002 or 03 not sure how much further in years before things change.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I know the T5 would be the way to go and Im still in planning stages but Im curious about it.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Coupe plane Jane 6 cyl manual
143 Posts
OK, in an earlier life I got a smoking deal on a new 1995 Thunderbird with 4.6 mod motor and 4R70W. At that time, I was following a T-Bird forum and one of the original transmission engineers posted a really good article on the AODE and 4R70W transmissions and how to modify them for better performance using Ford parts (it was known as the J-mod on that forum). I did the lower power modification to the 4R70W and it really stiffened up the shifts and made that car a lot more fun to drive.

Here's a link to that original article: TCCoA Transmission mod link

Hopefully you'll find it useful.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input I have been reading and yes your are correct on the mods. I know theres a stopping point year wise which is around 03 or 04 and I know the speedo thing which is why Im still looking at a GPS speedo. Call me crazy but my car when finished will be full pro touring so anything authentic is out the door and I cant get my mid around a paddle shift set up. Of course now that get into more dollars.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because I just want to be 100 % sure the 2000 v6 mustang auto trans is what Im looking for. It will bolt up to a 351 block other than the small parts needed. I have one located and just want to be sure.

Thanks Brad

·
Registered
1967 fastback Mustang 289 to hipo specs with fitech, 4r70w auto, Shelby drop.
82 Posts
Do it. They are great transmissions and still fairly plentiful.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,427 Posts
I think the last year for gear driven speedometers was 1998. So it would have an electrical "output speed sensor" instead. If I'm right (I think I am) then you'll need to do something different to have a working speedometer. If you are going to use an aftermarket GPS or Dakota Digital type speedo then no big deal. But if you want to continue using your stock speedo it could get difficult. My preferred method would probably be to score and earlier model tailshaft with the gear splines and swap it in. This would involve a COMPLETE teardown of the transmission to do. No big deal to me but very understandable if the average DIY guy is a bit taken aback by the idea of that. But if you are going to get it rebuilt somewhere anyway, then get them to upgrade it to "V8" status and get them to hook you up with a mechanical speedo drive too.

And if I have misremembered my year models that's all written for nothing. Someone will jump in who knows.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for the info. I seem to remember reading 01 or 02 went to no speedo gear but I could be wrong also. Im pretty sure Ill go GPS speedo. I have a buddy that knows his way around auto so Ill most likely let him go through it and make sure its up to snuff.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think the last year for gear driven speedometers was 1998. So it would have an electrical "output speed sensor" instead. If I'm right (I think I am) then you'll need to do something different to have a working speedometer. If you are going to use an aftermarket GPS or Dakota Digital type speedo then no big deal. But if you want to continue using your stock speedo it could get difficult. My preferred method would probably be to score and earlier model tailshaft with the gear splines and swap it in. This would involve a COMPLETE teardown of the transmission to do. No big deal to me but very understandable if the average DIY guy is a bit taken aback by the idea of that. But if you are going to get it rebuilt somewhere anyway, then get them to upgrade it to "V8" status and get them to hook you up with a mechanical speedo drive too.

And if I have misremembered my year models that's all written for nothing. Someone will jump in who knows.
I when searching I read several places 2001 was the last year. I have 2 2003 transmission in the garage from 2003 police Crown Victoria that have the speedo teeth on the output shaft. Perhaps this is something different between the V6 & the 4.6 trans, mechanical speedo phased out in different years.

·
Just some guy
21,427 Posts
I'll be the first to say I am not a walking encyclopedia of memorized information. My main point that is this something you want to watch out for or be prepared to deal with so it doesn't spoil the fun of your swap.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I went with a gps speedometer a while back, so I wouldn‘t have to worry about gear ratios or tire height throwing it off.

I‘m also going to do a 4R70W swap when my new 363 engine is finished

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
!!!! I went with a gps speedometer a while back, so I wouldn‘t have to worry about gear ratios or tire height throwing it off.!!!

That was my thought on the GPS also. After getting my Factory 5 together and hearing all the head aches of measuring a speedo cable and getting it rt Ill just go the other way. Some of the GPS stuff has additional features that might be fun to play with.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'll be the first to say I am not a walking encyclopedia of memorized information. My main point that is this something you want to watch out for or be prepared to deal with so it doesn't spoil the fun of your swap.
Was not trying to prove anyone wrong. I beleive we are trying to make the same point.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Of equal importance to having a splined output shaft, to use a mechanical speedo, is having one with the correct number of teeth, so you can avoid having to use the Jeep gear with diff ratios of 3.55.
You can get a 7 or 8 tooth output shaft.

·
Just some guy
21,427 Posts
Was not trying to prove anyone wrong.
No worries. I often post on my lunchbreak or something and frankly don't have the time to 100% research such stuff is all I'm saying. So if someone has more correct info that's great and doesn't offend me at all.

Info nugget popped into my head. If you get 2001 or newer, consider the valve body separator plate trash. Some genius decided no longer needed a small reinforcement they had for years and now they ALL crack. Pretty simple swap and a new upgraded plate kit runs like $60 I think

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thats good info. Really Im a stick shift guy but this idea looks like a nice option I think I mentioned my car is already set for auto. I can find a trans for 150$ that comes out of a running car. Theres no way I could do a t5 swap for what I would put into a auto install. Even with the controller and other tid bits. The car has all TCI suspension so AutoX is in the future I suppose I should go to the track section and get input on auto trans and tracking the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts