Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help form htose 66 experts out there. The carby on myA code 289 is a Carter ABF 9627s. So far my research tells me that the 9627 is 625cfm built for Fords (the 9625 is GM and I think the 9626 may have been Chrysler).
Can anyone enlighten me as to whether the ABF was a Ford (or possibly dealer?) option in 66 to replace the standard Ford four barrel 4100.
Also what likely impact this carby would have on HP given that the original 4100 425cfm on the ACode is spec'd at 225 HP?

The Rickster
66 A code Convert
Signalflare red mit da style steel wheels!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I never heard as a Carter being a dealer/factory option on an A code (or any other 66 Ford product). The correct number for a 4100 Autolite for your car would be C6ZF-A (for manual trans) or C6ZF-B (for auto trans)

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
View Album Here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1616948&a=12352157

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I think you mean Carter AFB. AFB stands for Aluminum Four Barrel.

That is an aftermarket carb

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Rickster, I concur with Art. I have never known of a Carter carburator during 66. AFBs were a very popular carburator over a Holley because they offered greater tunability without having to tear the carb apart to do it. Carter offered a Street-&-Strip kit full of metering rods and jets for that purpose at extremely reasonable prices. The earliest dual four barrel carburator set-up for the Shelby Cobras (and subsequent over counter 'options') was a dual AFB medium-to-low rise intake.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any comments on performance with this set up? I don't suppose you have a picture of the carb/linkage?? I have a 9625 I'm thinking about putting on in lieu of the 4100.

Raven Black 66 Fastback GT, 289 A Code, PS, C-4, AC
Pony w/Rally-Pack, TTD's
Cool Huh?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I don't really have a direct basis for comparison there Ray. My previous hands on experience has always been with 2 barrell topped 289's. Others who have driven my car though say there is a noticable performance increase. As far as the install goes, the only real bitch is that the fuel intake is on the right rear while the fuel pump is of course at front left, making for some extended plumbing work. You might want to consider having your 9625 modified so that the intake is at the left rear (a relatively simple mod that the Carters were set up for). The carb linkage is definitely modified but by how much I can't say without a bit more research.
My overall comment on the Carter? A real simple carb to tune and maintain. Pity they're so damn ugly. Ya just havta hide it under a big air cleaner...

The Rickster
66 A code Convert
Signalflare red mit da style steel wheels!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts