Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a 5.0 in my 66. The brackets I have that currently all line up are 3 bolt crank. Can anyone shed some light as to how folks are doing this with their early 3 bolt rotating assembly. I'd like to use all brackets and pulleys from my current motor.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Use a 3 bolt 50oz conversion dampner like the summit brand unit that's listed as a stock replacement for an 88GT and retails for $74, that's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AOD..maybe or c4. I have not decided. The motor is stock rebuild with the E7 heads. What trans would be best for driving and performance?

I will check the dampner out. So this will allow me to use the same pulleys I am currently using now? The pulley on my crank is HUGE now... and I will not use AC. The power steering works from the water pump pulley... I think.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yes that dampner will allow you to use the same pulleys. Keep in ming you have to switch the 5.0 revers rotation water pump to the vintage style and the timing cover needs to be changed as well. You'll have to plug the where the oil dipstick goes into the block on the 5.0 and use the one that attaches to the vintage-style timing cover. Oh and you need the front sump oil pan and new oil pickup. Sorry if you already knew all this.

As for the trans, if your options are AOD or C4 I think everyone here will tell you the AOD is the better option. However if you already have a solid C4, it might make sense to save money and stick with what you have. Good luck!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'd go serpentine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts