Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing a 5.0 in my 65FB and doing more of a restro mod look on my car. The car is a bare shell right now and going in for body work starting this Saturday. My question is should I or do I need to remove the shock towers to make this work, dose it make it easier? I am new to this so I want to make the right decisions before we start the body work.

·
Registered
38,169 Posts
The 5.0's external dimensions are the same as any other SBF (221,260,289,302). Of course if you are refinishing the engine compartment it's alot easier without an engine in there.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
No, you don't need to remove the shock towers. The 5.0 is just an updated 302 with the same external dimensions and mounts as the 289, which was an oem option for your '65. You can even use a '65 timing cover, front dress, intake, valve covers, etc, to make the 5.0 look identical to a factory installed 289.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the info.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Just for the sake of postin a photo, here's a 5.0 in a 65 Mustang

http://members.cox.net/corky.p/Eng%20Aug%2007.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tubo,

Where'd you get the breather tube for your 5.0 ?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It was an Ebay purchase,used, it's a Fox body cold air intake part. I'm looking for a speed density version which is a little longer, and not intended to use another 90d bend to replace a Fox body filter. Just another area to refine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts