Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fromt he 5.0 HO engine how do the stock parts compair to aftermarket. I have no intentions to stroke the engine so i have no compelling reason to change them. On the other hand i want to rev over 6,500 on a modest supercharger and am not opposed to a 150 shot of nitrous. I don't want a weak link to save money, nor do i want to money away just because.

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
There's been more then one completely stock 5.0 shortblock that's live in the 9 second range. But not for a long time. I'd say the stockblocks that came with fordged pistons are fairly tough for a factory piece. But any motor running nitros should be using a good quality Hypereutectic or fordged piston for the 150 shot. I don't think I'd push the 6,500 rpm range, I'd stick with no more then 6,000 rpm.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
This was posted a few days ago. You can make your own decision...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Go with forged pistons, ARP rod bolts, and main studs, and a main stud girdle....Then the lower end will hold up to the 6500 rpm's

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Depends on the age and condition of your engine. The most recent 5.0Ls had hypereutectic pistons as stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.