Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i put a 86 5.0 non roller motor in my 64.5 mustang and i am having to many problems. so the next question on my list is why wont my mallory distributor that i baught for an earlyer style 302 work in this motor. it doesnt look like the rotor is turning at all( this could be why my engine wont start :eek: i figured that out on my own) so could u give me any help i would appreciate it alot.
thanks in advance derrek

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Is the distributor all the way in? Is there a gear on it?
Pull it and look at the distributor and in the hole for it. Turn the crank by hand and see if the cam is turning. Maybe the timing chain was installed incorrectly?

Robert

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i checked and the cam is not spinning but it was earlier in the day. i pulled the feul pump off and checked the timming chain and it has tension so i know that didnt brake so could the cam have broke. what are the most obvious sighns or sounds of that.
thanks again derrek

·
Registered
35,950 Posts
Uh, unless you have changed the valvetrain, '85 & up 5.0HO's should all be roller motors...at least my '85 is.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
There's a dowel or a woodruff key(?), can't remember, on the end of the cam that indexes with the timing chain sprocket. If it ain't there, then the cam ain't gonna spin, or the dizzy.

Robert

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah thats what i thought too but it doesnt have the roller lifters or the spider leg looking peices to keep the lifters fronm spinning.
thanks derrek

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Derick,
did you install the timing gear set yourself? was the key on the crank there when you put the crang gear on? If not, it might turn the cam for a while, but would eventually slip and not turn the cam. If so, you're rocker arms won't move when you turn the crank. Try pulling a valve cover and turn the crank clockwise a few turns.
Another idea, the dist gear is not secured onto the distributor shaft. Therer should be a pin run ning through the dist gear and shaft together locking it in place. If the pin is broken or missing, it could caust the rotor to not move while the cam is turning the dist gear. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts