Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a 65 Convertible: Best location for h/p fuel pump.
Do you feel you need the low pressure pump & why?
Is a fuel canister necessary?
Best choice of fuel lines and routing?
Your experience in bending steel lines.
Best way to connect to fuel rail lines?
Peekshurs if ya got em.
Is that too many questions in one post? :eek:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
1) Near the tank.
2) No
3) See #2
4) I'd use the stock supply and feed the return through a fitting welded in the top of the sender.
5) :: It was pretty easy and self-explanitory
6) Beats me! :: Haven't looked at that in a Looong time
Nope, not too many Qs. ::
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
101 Posts
1-3)See previous
4)I used nylon fuel injection tubing and ran it through the transmission tunnel
5)don't need to..
6)spring lock fittings

The most difficult part for me was welding the return to the sender, so I didn't. I bought one already prepared and it worked great..

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Down side to flexible hose is some drag racing tracks allow only so much flexible line on the car .

I belive there is aftermarket fuel rails which accept AN fittings that you can attach to , IMO a much better connection and looks cool too .

edit:
Id also say you could get a standard 3/8" fuel line kit and use it for the car . Flare the tank end and use a adapter to attach a AN style connection . The fuel sender could be modded with a new 3/8" sending unit (original was 5/16") and weld a return line to it . If you got real fancy a pipe fitting could be added to the connections for AN fittings on the sender/pickup but you'de better be good at welding or pay for it .
The fuel canister is only for slurping gas fumes off the fuel tank and since a 65 has no emissions on it , ditch the can .

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Do you feel you need the low pressure pump & why?
I just used an inline MSD pump from Summit...only $75, I forget the specs, but it was better than the in-tank fuel pump used on the 5.0 Mustangs, if it isn't enough when I get 'er running, I'll get a bigger one. I put my fuel pump just in front of the tank, However it occurred to me after the installation that it sits just slightly below the top of the tank, so I'm now concerned that fuel may leak back with the pump being so high.

Is a fuel canister necessary? I didn't use one, and didn't find reccomendations to use one when doing my research...

Best choice of fuel lines and routing?
Steel all the way... primarily for safety, you will still probably need a little bit of plastic for transitions.

Your experience in bending steel lines.
I used a tubing bender for tight corners, by hand for sweeping turns.

Best way to connect to fuel rail lines?
Steel -> compression fitting -> plastic -> Ford fuel rail. I couldn't come up with any better way to transition from steel to the ford fuel rail with out getting into serious expense.

Peekshurs if ya got em.
About halfway down on my web page I have several pics of the fuel system... http://home.comcast.net/~stangg/

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I asked:
Location of H/P pump is very limited with twice pipes, Flow Masters and all. I've been told that I need a L/P pump to draw fuel from the tank. Correct? If I use a low pressure pump to supply from the tank to the high pressure pump can I locate the h/p pump in the front of the car? Like where the battery useta was?
Canister: One source says to use a canister between a low pressure pump and the high pressure to provide a small reservoir of fuel in the case of low fuel level and cornering to eliminate fuel starvation. Any experience in this?
Fuel lines: I have been trying steel but they are difficult to bend and good tools seem to be non existent. My results are fair at best as well as frustrating and a $ drain. Any recommendation on tools?
Hadn't heard of the plastic / nylon lines. Is this what I find from the donor car connected to the male fuel rail connectors? This appears to be shrunk tight to the male Ford spring lock fittings. What is the attachment method that I can reproduce?
And here I thought I had this down pat before starting.
Sure hope this post isn't buried already. ::

1 - 6 of 6 Posts