Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in the middle of my EFI swap into my '67; which I hope to complete by this spring. I'm seeking opinions on this BBK 5.0 EFI intake. I've never really been a fan of the standard FORD EFI intake as pictured below. (I wish this was my car, but it isn't)

I came across this BBK pic on the internet and I'm quite interested in it:

As you can see, the BBK intake appears to be more toward the center of the engine. I wondering if you can use an export brace with this intake and if will give you more room to use a '67/'68 vacuum brake booster.

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
I have heard (Although can't find any dyno tests at the moment) that the BBK isn't so good... I'd go with a trickflow or an edelbrock if it were me.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Dave Sanborne has it on his car... Maybe he'll chime in.
Link

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I'm here, sorry, I had about 4 PT's to work through...

Yes, I used the BBK SSI, what do you want to know? I'm not sure where JohnnyK got his info, but it contradicts everything I've read. M&FF did a writeup comparing the SSI to IIRC a ported Cobra intake and the SSI outperformed across the board by at some RPM levels 16HP. The article is available on BBK's website IIRC.

Is it all marketing propaganda? Heck, I dunno. The install was straightforward. BBK tech help answered the phone when I had a few questions.

The engine runs GREAT and the car hauls ass so I'm happy.

Dave

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
I've never used one myself, so don't quote me. Just what I heard recently. As I said, I didn't see any dyno sheets. I've heard it looks pretty though. :D What do I know though, I'm stuck with the lousy stock (Albeit polished! hah) intake for now. :(

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
See here and for the "dyno sheet" (questionable IMO as it's not what I consider an unbiased report) look here.

Dave

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Dave,

I saw the BBK SSI on a CL posting and thought it would be a better choice over the stock manifold. I didn't even realize that you posted pics of your installation. I realize that performance is what drives most folks to go with aftermarket intakes. What I'm looking for is more room on the driver's side of the engine compt. I hope to have some space for the OE brake booster. (I have a '67) Also, I'd like to use the OE export brace. This BBK intake looks like it might to that for me. Plus, it looks so cool over the OE intake. What did this set up put you back? You can PM me if you don't want to reveal the cost to the cyber-world..

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
As evidenced by the below picture, the BBK SSI should give you more room on the drivers side for your OE PB booster. Due to the size of the upper intake, I'm not sure if it (or any) EFI system will allow mounting of the OE export brace. You could probably get away with using a custom export brace similar to the TCP heim jointed bars. I overcame this problem by eliminating my shock towers... :thumbsup:

I got a VERY good deal on the BBK setup... I bought it off of eBay from a fellow '66 owner who decided to go in a different direction. With the auction came the new BBK intake system, a new BBK 70MM throttle body, a new Ron Morris EFI fuel sending unit, a new Ron Morris 2G ALT harness and an entire set of '91 EFI components (harness, sensors, brackets, A9L EEC, solenoids, etc., etc.)... all for $700 plus another $65 for shipping. It worked out real nice.

I got lucky again when another eBayer listed his like new BBK Cold Air Induction kit and failed to mention "BBK" anywhere in the listing. Also, his listing stated it was an incomplete kit as it was "missing some items"... I emailed him and found out the "missing items" was the mount for the MAF sensor.... it doesn't come with the kit. I won the auction as the only bidder at his opening bid of $30. I believe the kit retails for over $200 through Summit Racing.

The deals are out there, but as usual, timing is everything!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/davesanborn/001-8.jpg

Dave

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
Hey! Is that a BBK for a fox body? Almost looks like the fendermount one, but with the fender mount square piece cut off, and the thing turned down. Anyways, if it is for a fox body, how'd you make it fit?! I can't even get mine to fit in my 67 nicely, and I went so far as to get rid of the EGR spacer?!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Johnny,

Yes, but I think I have a few things going for me.

No shock towers.

Also, the BBK upper is designed for use with no EGR spacer. The throttle bracket actually screws right into the upper intake. This moves the throttle body that much further inboard.

Yes, it's a BBK CAI set up designed for a Fox body. I left off the last elbow that would've placed the filter cone within the wheelwell. I'm not sure yet if I'll route the filter outside of the engine compartment, I kinda like it right where it is and the car runs fine.

Dave

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
Ohhhhh! no shock towers.. THose are whats killing me.

I made a little adapter about 3/8 thick of aluminum that replaces the EGR spacer, so that freed up a lot of room, but still, I think it's too tight of a squeeze between the shock tower and the alternator.

But your CAI looks like all the components I have for mine. I don't have an extra elbow like you left off? Except mine, the turndown at the end of yours, where the filter attaches, has a square plate (And it's turned towards the fender aprons) so the square plate bolts to the fender apron.

You have an extra piece? How does it work on yours. It turns down like it does, and then the other elbow makes another 90?

I was going to make it exit on the lower piece of the battery apron. But I think I'll opt to run it like yours (If I can get it to fit between the shock tower.. somehow.. i might have to ruin the chrome and weld a tighter radius on teh TB part) by hacking off the square piece and aiming it down or something.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Yes, I have the flat mounting plate and another 90 elbow. I assume the other elbow is used within the fenderwell to help position the filter.

Dave

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave,

You really did get some excellent deals for your stuff. Is your 5.0 a stock engine or does it have any mods? I'll be running a stock 5.0 engine.

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
Yup, I'm definately going to need to find at least the stock elbow at the throttle body.. Maybe if I use that I can lengthen/shorten it to put the MAF where it will fit. :( Looks nice under your hood, too.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Is your 5.0 a stock engine or does it have any mods?
Aside from the BBK EFI and a 7Qt. Canton oil pan, yep, she's all stock.

I've got a line on a running '89 5.0 (for free, I just need to help the guy change out his motor). I'll probably use that motor to start another engine build-up using non-stock internals/heads.

Dave

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
DaveSanborn said:
1I'll probably use that motor to start another engine build-up using non-stock internals/heads.

Dave
Is that where the blower comes in? :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts