Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've received a number of parts for my 5.0 install but have yet to get the FelPro gasket set. I don't know what main seal (or even how many types there are) will be included. But I do know that for an engine that's been sitting for a while it would probably be wise to install a new one while the engine is out. Assuming that the kit has a two-piece seal should I just pull the rear main and try to twist it in? What are your experiences?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,360 Posts
If it is a "5.0" made after 1981, then is has a one-piece seal. If the kit comes with one just tap it in. If you need to buy one separately, the last few years I've come to prefer using the optional teflon ones. They cost a bit more but I've yet to re-replace a single one and I can't say that about the old style one piece (or two piece) seals.

·
Registered
21,329 Posts
Make sure you put a little oil on the crank where the seal rides so it's lubricated when you first start the engine. Otherwise you stand a chance of burning the seal.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I watched a video on the process; I didn't realize that it was no longer necessary to remove the rear main cap to replace the seal!!!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The early V8s had 2 types of rear seals. One was a felt/rope seal in 2 pieces and the other was a rubber lip seal in 2 pieces. The rope seal needed to have the crank loosened for the top half or use a special seal puller. The rubber lip seal could just tapped into the block side of the crank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts