Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured that the serp. belt for the 5.0 would be a simple matter. I stopped by the local AZ on the way home from work and picked up a new Gatorback belt for an '87 5.0 - AC.

Piece of cake right?

Routing the belt on the pulleys, it seemed that something wasn't quite right...

Duh...

No smog pump installed. It's moments like this when I'm reminded how dumb I am.

I'm sure that this bridge has already been crossed by someone here. To make my life simpler, what size belt do I need?

PS = yes, stock
AC = no
ALT = yes, stock
Balancer = yes, stock
Water Pump = yes, stock
Tensioner = yes, stock

I doubt it makes a difference, but T5 trans.

TIA,

Dave

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
A 60" belt seems to be the ticket for an "everything delete" car, according to the fox guys.

Usually the last 3 numbers are the belt size in inches, so if it's GDYR800845, it's usually an 84.5" belt.
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Well, this might get you going in the right direction, but it too will be too long for your specific setup.

6k770 will fit the following setup
smog = no
PS = yes, stock
AC = yes, stock
ALT = yes, stock
Balancer = yes, stock
Water Pump = yes, stock
Tensioner = yes, stock

my suggestion is to be real nice to the parts guy and ask if you could trial fit several sizes until you find the right one. I went through about 10 before I found a belt at the right size. As long as the engine is not run, they should not have a problem allowing trial fits.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my suggestion is to be real nice to the parts guy
I'm very fortunate in this regard.

The local parts store manager and some of the employees hang out at my shop on occasion. They're all in love with Classic Mustangs, Harleys and Jeeps, of which I have. I have free reign at the store. I walk in, look up what part I need, pull my own parts, help other customers if the store is busy and do everything except open the drawer to the cash register. I even special order my own parts and call parts in from the hub store.

I never take advantage of the friendship/relationship and we both benefit from the close working arrangement.

Grabbing a dozen different K6 belts and bringing them home for a trial fit is definitely do-able, I was hoping to avoid this though... there's got to be someone running a PS, no AC/smog pump setup.

Dave

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts