Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Yesterday we took the '66 for it's maiden test drive and DAMN I LOVE the EFI motor!

I have a couple minor issues to work through, but need some input on the PS Pressure Hose.

I'm using a stock Ford 5.0 style PS Pump and R&P. The hose designed for use with these components has "swivel" seals/fittings... ie., when the hose nuts are tightened all of the way down, the hose itself can still swivel. An o-ring is supposed to provide the seal to prevent leaks. The current hose I'm using is WAY too long... well over 12" longer than it needs to be... and it's leaking at the rack end. Fixing the leak is high on my list of things to do, but I want to use a shorter hose. Is there a different application hose that is not so darn long? The hose I'm using now is supposed to fit a '90 Mustang, but again, it's about 32" long and the R&P connection is about 12" below the pump.

Those of you that are using a 5.0 and a Power R&P, what hose are you using?

Thanks!
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
There was a design change in the fittings of the 5.0 power steering hose mid 89. You need to make sure you have the same year hose and pump. And if you have an 89 pump, you need to know if it's early 89 or late 89. Most vendors who remanufacture the pump do not differentiate between them, and the majority of them are the newer style pump.

I'm not sure about the rack, but I'm positive about the pump and hose.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, this'll be the last alternative.

The thing is, with another 5.0 motor I have sitting in the shop... it uses the same style PS pump and the Rack end fitting looks the same also, but this hose is perfect in length! It's maybe 18" long and has the perfect length and bends to it... I just don't know what the engine came out of.... mid 80's Ford something. I was hoping someone already crossed this bridge and found a better sized/fitting hose.

Dave

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Gotcha, well at least you know a hose is out there. Too bad most of the PS hoses are in boxes, otherwise you could get a parts monkey at Autozoo to see if they have one similar. Sorry I couldn't help more, I'm sure someone on here knows though. If you don't have much luck, you may try over at Stangnet as they have quite a few guys running 5.0's in old cars.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fortunately for me, I'm buddied up with most of the local AZ guys. My wife is an ex-AZ store manager and I pretty much have carte blanche at the store. When I was sizing the serp belt and trying to come up with a "custom" lower radiator hose, I left the store with about 5 belts and 10 hoses that "might" work. I bring back the ones I don't use and pay for the ones I keep. It works out good for me and saves me the trouble of multiple trips. They'll even drop parts off at my house/shop on their way home from work and I'll pay them the next time I'm in the store (usually the next morning).

If I draw blanks here with a better fitting PS hose, I may just grab a handful of possible hoses and mock up their fitment.

Thanks again,
Dave

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I called the guys at gottashow.com and ordered a set of braided hoses. They look trick and you can order a set with any ends you want. They will send you the ends and you will assemble them yourself. It was very easy. It is not premade and will cost a little more but my thought was why skimp on a hose when I already went this far. :shrug:

·
Registered
270 Posts
My setup is different in that I am using the EFI pump with the stock power steering system, but I brought the hose and the pump to the hydraulic shop and they took care of it with an adaptor fitting. They also make custom hoses, so in your case, bring the parts and see if they can shorten it or create a new one for you.

Good luck!
Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts