Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably isn't strictly a "vintage" mustang question, but it's a follow up post to my earlier one about swapping a 5.0L into a '67. I'm wondering about the compatibility of the computers. From the searches I've done on the internet, it looks like there are different codes on the EEC which correspond to different applications. There are several different codes which are all listed for 89-93 5.0L with AOD trannies (i.e. A9M, A9P, C3W, C3W1). Does anyone know what the difference between these computers is or a link to a page with the info? I can't seem to find out why there are different codes for what look like the same application.

Trevor

·
Registered
90 Posts
In my opinion I wouldn't get into a computer swap that the computer didn't come with the engine you are putting in. Just too many chances that something isn't going to work right. I was a auto tech for many years, and now I am a automotive instructor, and I have seen a lot of goof ups when it comes to the ECM's.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
From what I have found the A9P is the most recommended with A/T.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Trevork,
You stated on the last post the PCM was damaged. Do you have it. You should be able to take the PCM to any parts store and order a reman PCM. If the PCM is gone or damaged look on the drs door jamb of your parts car and there should be a calibration code on the door. More that likely any numbers for your 92?? AOD should work, There was a 49 states calibration and a California calibration. Most calibrations changed from year to year with calibration changes to correct lets say cold start problems, rough Idles etc. When EEC V came out we had the ablity to reprogram the PCM in the vehicle with the lastest calibration.
Hope this helps Phil
Email if you need ,more help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts