Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of swapping a 5.0L out of and 86 mustang into my 66 and I have a couple of questions. I went to mount my original timing 298 timing cover today and noticed that the 5.0L block has two dowels at the lower wings where my timing cover has two bolt holes? DO I need to just drill out the bolt holes to fit the larger dowels or how is this typically handled? I also noticed that my original distributor (pertronix) is a little bit shorter than the distributor I removed the 87 engine. It seems to still engage the oil pump driveshaft and turn it but is this a problem also? I am trying to stick with a carb setup so I was really hoping to used my pertronix distributor. Thanks for your help.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Just pull the locating dowels out of the front of the block and toss them. They're only to help locate the cover when it's installed.

The distributor should be fine, as long as the new engine does not have a roller cam in it. You'll need a steel distributor gear if it does.

The block you just put in is a 50 ounce imbalance, and your 289 was 28. You'll need to get a 50 ounce conversion dampner to run your original accessories (alternator, PS, water pump, etc.), as your old parts/brackets won't line up with the 5.0L dampner.

Don't forget to plug the dipstick hole in the side of the block before you drop it in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've got the dizzy gear and 50 oz balancer covered. I wasn't sure about the dowels though. Whats the best way to get them out? Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts