Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad in the local paper for a '92 5.0L out of mustang with 35,000 miles on it. I've wondered about doing this kind of swap into my 67 coupe and the price seems right on this engine (it also comes with an AOD tranny). I assume this is a bolt in swap, but can someone confirm. Also, the car was wrecked and the computer was damaged, but the seller says he has a computer out of another 92 Ford (an Explorer, I think). Will this computer hook right up to the mustang engine? What specific parts should I be getting as well for the swap (i.e. drive shaft, radiator, fan, motor mounts, accessories, etc.) Are there any specific issues I should be asking about with this year of engine as I'm not familiar with it at all. Thanks for any help you can give.
Trevor

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I dont know too much about the swap, but i do know some things about the enfgine, My dad owns a 91 mustang, 5.0, real nice engine, its the stock shortblock.. edelbrock heads, vortech supercharger, and a plethera of other mods, and the engine has held up since 91 with absolute no problems, ifd taken care of its a very strong and reliable engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm also thinking about doing a 5.0L swap in my 67. I am planning on buying a whole running car to get my engine adn tranny, that way I can take it apart and know where everything goes. As far as I know you can run the original motor mounts out of the 67 as long as it had a V8 in it. The tranny mount and driveshaft I am not sure with. A 92 exploer ECM will probably not work, unless the explorer had a 5.0 in it and wasn't a 4wd. The main issue is the explorer probably had a different trans, and a different engine.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You will need a deifferent crossmember for the AOD transmission if you are planning on using that, you will also need a TV cable for that transmission, also get the torque converter from the car, as far as i know you can use the original motor mounts for the engine swap

·
Registered
768 Posts
I just finish a 5.0L AOD swap into a 67 not long ago. It is pretty straight forward. From the 92 you will need the engine and trans, and efi wiring loom and related parts (relays, fuel cut off switch etc). You will have to modify the wiring loom to fit the 67, Wasn't too bad the starter soln on the 92 is on the drs side vs pass side for the 67. I used an alt wiring and trans wiring kit from Ron Francis. You will use the engine mounts for a 67, you will need to order an AOD conversion cross member. The drive hsaft yokes will interchange but you will have to shorten the shaft. Also checl out the fuel pump and filter kits from Francis. I opted to make steel fuel lines after talking to the maker of the plastic lines who told me it wasn't designed for this. I went one futher and installed the cruise control from the donor Mustang and installed the switches in the 67 ash tray.One last thing you may think about going to an electric cooling fan as the late model fan doesnt fit in the 67 shroud well.
http://www.mustangfactory.net/customercars/Bill Mehterian 67 Fastback/102005 012.jpg
The flex air tube is going away just temp

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other question. If the computer the seller has isn't the right one, are the available aftermarket, or would I have to find one from a 92 mustang?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The drive hsaft yokes will interchange but you will have to shorten the shaft.
If the C4 yoke is used, you have to shorten either the yoke or the drive shaft. If the AOD yoke is used, no mods are required to the drive shaft at all. I'm using the same driveshaft behind the AOD in my '66 that I was when it had a C4. No modifications where made to the drive shaft at all.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Am in the process right now, finally, putting an 89 HO with AOD from Lentech, in a 68 cv. Going with Edelbrock 600 manual choke and a Shelby lettered Cobra style intake. Have the correct flexplate and blockplate, W-Fox shiftrod, Ron Morris crossmember,elec hookup wiring, Lokar TV cable and mount bracket. According to Lentech, a 67-8 C-6 crossmember will work as is. With 65-7 Hipo exhaust manifolds, am told the hipo H-pipe will not work-trans width prob. Three questions: What size(length) bolts to bolt trans to engine. What kind of starter should I get. Will existing solenoid be used? Concerned, as the cv top relay hooks to solenoid. Make that four questions: What is the largest diameter exhaust that can be used on a 67-8 cv with the lower pan reinforcement plate attached?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Thats ebtirely possible, if the car was only used as a sunday driver or something like that it could very well have only 35000 on it, my dad owns a 91 mustang that has 15000 on it, it is just a summer rarely driven car. It may be something you want to look at though, just to be safe.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think it's impossible either. The car was a shop teacher's wife's which was apperently babied and wrecked two years ago. So definitely low milage for sure, but not impossible for a Sunday driver that's only used around town to have low miles on it, but I guess there's no way to know for sure without taking the engine apart.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I am calling BS. No way a 14 year old motor has 35,000 miles on it.
The car in my sig pic has less than 55K miles on it, all documented.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts