Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 67 mustang coupe. I got it for $600 no rust or dents. It has a 6 cylinder 3-spd in it. I want to swap it out for a 5.0L I already have a 5.0L and 5-spd tranny. can any of you please give me some info on making the swap. I'm planning to upgrade the front to disc brakes and i know i need new springs and motor mounts. Can you please help me out with what i will need or upgrade. Or give me and web sites and or books that can help with the swap. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Run a search on this forum and old forum. This has been discussed in detail many times. IIRC someone even has a webpage devoted to this.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

·
Registered
514 Posts
Contact mustangs plus (www.mustangsplus.com) they have a tech article on doing this. I know one thing you'll have to change is the radiator as 5.0 cars have their outlets on different sides. Since you're upgrading from a six anyway you'll need a new, bigger radiator. Now you can buy a classic sized radiator with the outlets on the correct side for the reverse rotation 5.0 water pump. I've also heard that painless wiring has come out with a new 5.0 wiring harness that's cheaper and easier to use than other alternatives. Also, you're going to need a heavier duty rear end. An 8" rear is very common and will work well unless you add a blower or nitrous or some other crazy stuff like that.

http://216.71.48.244/archive/mikecar.jpg

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts