Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm preparing to buy a 1970 Mustang with a straight 6. I may have the opportunity to get my hands on a trinity motor from a 2014 GT500. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to even get this in the engine bay? I'll have the donor car for electronics so that's not an issue, but I would like to know whether it would fit or if I'm gonna have to modify the engine bay. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm preparing to buy a 1970 Mustang with a straight 6. I may have the opportunity to get my hands on a trinity motor from a 2014 GT500. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to even get this in the engine bay? I'll have the donor car for electronics so that's not an issue, but I would like to know whether it would fit or if I'm gonna have to modify the engine bay. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

Short answer: Extremely difficult.

I don’t recall anyone on this forum specifically installing that engine, but I figure it is just as wide (or wider) than a coyote

With that being said, it means you’ll need to completely install a new front suspension that removes the shock towers. Not a bolt in affair. Alternatively, you can go with a macpherson strut style from suspension, so that you can then notch the shock towers significantly.

Point is, lots of modification.

You didn’t mention transmission.. if you’re planning on using the trans that is coming from the donor car, that will require the trans tunnel be cut out and enlarged.

If you have the means (time, material, skills, tools, and $$$$$), go for it.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Short answer: Extremely difficult.

I don’t recall anyone on this forum specifically installing that engine, but I figure it is just as wide (or wider) than a coyote

With that being said, it means you’ll need to completely install a new front suspension that removes the shock towers. Not a bolt in affair. Alternatively, you can go with a macpherson strut style from suspension, so that you can then notch the shock towers significantly.

Point is, lots of modification.

You didn’t mention transmission.. if you’re planning on using the trans that is coming from the donor car, that will require the trans tunnel be cut out and enlarged.

If you have the means (time, material, skills, tools, and $$$$$), go for it.

Would the front suspension be able to be swapped over as well? Or am I gonna have to buy a suspension setup. The donor car has a six speed manual. I was expecting to have to enlarge the trans tunnel, but how bad would that be?

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
Installing that engine would involve completely removing the shock towers and installing a coilover suspension with rack & pinion front steering. That engine has a supercharger which would not fit under the hood. So, you'd have to fabricate a raised hood.

Yeah, it's all doable, but it is extremely involved.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not meaning to sound rude, but if you have to ask then you should not attempt it. If money is no object then you could have a shop do it. The towers will have to be removed and the entire front suspension and steering will have to be aftermarket. Go get a 2010 or newer 'stang and put it in that.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I am just going to point out that a Coyote swap can be done while keeping the shock towers intact if you have a 67-70:

That does not mean that its easy or that you have much room for headers, but it can be done. That being said...the 5.8L is not based on the 5.0L Coyote engine, its based on the previous generation 5.4L Navigator engine...which is slightly wider. You could certainly fit the engine if you used Boss 429 shock towers(but at that point removing the shock towers for a different suspension is easier). I suspect if you made the effort you could fit a 4.6/5.4L in a 67-70 bay with some shock tower notching while retaining the stock suspension...but you might end up replacing the UCA bolts with some type of stud, things like that. Customizations that most people shy away from....and regardless of how you do it, you are going to end up with less-than-ideal headers.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Fastback restomod
1,308 Posts
Are able to do any of the work yourself? Or would this conversion be 100% sourced out to a shop? If you can do some or alot of work yourself then its not too bad financially especially if you already have engine and donor parts.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Would the front suspension be able to be swapped over as well? Or am I gonna have to buy a suspension setup. The donor car has a six speed manual. I was expecting to have to enlarge the trans tunnel, but how bad would that be?
Bro… whole new suspension.

Wicked93gs made a good point about using boss 429 style towers, which means you can use the existing front suspension. BUT… with that much horsepower, you’d need to upgrade the front suspension. Your cars components should work together as a complete system.

Actually now that I recall, you’re swapping from a straight 6, which necessitates spindle, steering, and brake upgrades anyway.

Tunnel for trans as I understand isn’t terrible, just has to be raised a few inches and widened an inch or so. As I recall

Point being, it is neither going to be easy, nor cheap.

Open that wallet nice and wide. No, W I D E R.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Make your life easy…stick with factory parts. You don’t want to go down that road unless you are a master fab guy. As to your 70, it should already be 5 lug suspension and steering. Rebuild the steering and suspension, upgrade to discs, & lower the car. Reverse eye leafs in rear, do the drop on the front, with moog 8534 coils, roller perches, export brace. Install any 289,302, 351W, 351C, 390, or 428, with Trans of your choice. You will be rockin.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Hoppy, welcome to VMF. What you propose IS do-able, but is an aweful lot of work, and will be brain hemmorage exspensive. If you want to wake up a 70 Stang you already have, we can help with ideas. We are not intending to discourage you. But if you are looking for a place to pop that Trinity, I'd suggest a newer body would be much easier to do. Whats you budget for this idea ? LSG

·
Registered
67 vert, 347 EFI, T5
1,125 Posts
Back when the trinity motor was new there was a build thread either on here or StangNet of someone wedging one into a 67. I don't recall if I saw it finished or not.

I had a 2013 GT500. That motor is no joke - - the 2013 did not have the chassis and suspension to manage that power. In addition to all the custom fab just to make it fit in the car, you're going to need a hell of a lot of mods to manage the power and put it to the ground. If you don't have a LOT of fab experience, this is an idea you should pass on.

As others have said, build your 70 well using more mainstream parts, or build a late model that will a cept the Trinity more easily. This isn't a project for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you want to use that engine, considering the power it makes, I'd suggest using an aftermarket chassis, such as one from Schwartz Performance or Roadster Shop . It would eliminate much of the needed fabrication aside from removing the shock towers and trans tunnel mods. The price will probably be less in the long run as well.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
You're already in over your head.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,715 Posts
Have you contacted Evolutionary Rides in Florida to see what sort of fabrication is necessary to build your wet dream? Look at post #8 in this thread for their business card and contact #.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
These threads are paradoxical. You have to start somewhere. But at the same time if you have to ask you're already in over your head, and we can't possibly give all the answers in a single thread. Nor is there even really a consensus on how to go about it. So it's probably even more confusing. My answer isn't meant to be harsh, just honest. These are they types of projects where if you don't already have a general idea going in, it's not time to ask questions yet, but rather hit the books and do your own research. Then come back and ask educated questions about specific areas.

It's just too broad and puts the cart before the horse.

·
Registered
112 Posts
its all doable. All of the new engines require many of the factory gauges as inputs to the computer and the factory pedals for the fly by wire inputs. In time this will all be made into a kit but if you are one of the first to do it you are very skilled or prepared to pay someone who is. You can grab a 427W with enough power to break everything ;-)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts