Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '66 289 currently has a 5 blade fan and air conditioning which was most likely dealer installed at some point before I bought it. I see there are also 6 blade fans available. I haven't used the AC in the past since the compressor made a lot of noise so I plan to fix that along with the other repairs. Since I have to replace the radiator and fan (due to my up close and personal encounter with a deer) would the 6 blade be a better setup or would the 5 blade be sufficient?

·
Premium Member
12,927 Posts
Not all blades are created equal. As people who fly prop planes know, it's all in the blade "pitch". The pitch of a blade is what determines how much air is moved. The 289 HiPo fan only has 4 blades. But it moves a tremendous amount of air.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to find out how much air the fan(s) are spec'd as moving at a given RPM before buying based only on the number of blades.

Z

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just swapped out a 5 blade flex fan (noisy) for a 6 blade fan and thermostatic clutch fan from NPD. I like it.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
You'd be shocked how much parasitic power loss a mechanical fan draws. The price, ease of installation, and availability of electric fans makes them very tempting :).

I fell into the temptation and never looked back! No more spinning meat cleavers for me.

·
Premium Member
12,927 Posts
You'd be shocked how much parasitic power loss a mechanical fan draws. The price, ease of installation, and availability of electric fans makes them very tempting :)...... ". .
The electric fans have a few drawbacks too, so there's no free lunch.

Besides the complexity of wiring, relays, maybe an alternator upgrade, and controllers that may not be optional, & when those fans turn on the alternator power needed to run them takes more than just a modest horsepower loss.

All that said, I've dinged a nice original hood but good (!!!) on a '66 GT fastback when my fan lost a blade. Made a helluva racket that scared the bejesus outa me. ;)

A clutch fan is a good compromise, usually it's just free wheeling at highway speeds, so it uses zero horsepower then, but will move decent air when driving around town or in traffic.

Z

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were in your shoes, I'd try to find out how much air the fan(s) are spec'd as moving at a given RPM before buying based only on the number of blades.
Z
So where would I go to find out how much air my mechanical 5 blade fan moves on my '66 Mustang - those stats are not listed in the catalogs that sell them.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Fans

In So Fla, where we use AC most of the year, we upgraded most of our customers to a 3 row, fan shroud and the old Granada 7 blade fan. Fits perfectly inside a 65-6 shroud and cools great. My 64 has had one since 1990 and I just swapped out the original hi-po one on my K FB.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I put an aftermarket 6 blade fan and clutch on mine. It was a derale fan I got from summit for 50 bucks. It moves a ton of air. They have 17, and 18 inch versions. I needed an 18" for my 390, and I have a 17" for my 302. The 390 fan fit in a factory shroud. I don't have shroud on the 302, so cannot comment there.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
You'd be shocked how much parasitic power loss a mechanical fan draws. The price, ease of installation, and availability of electric fans makes them very tempting :).

I fell into the temptation and never looked back! No more spinning meat cleavers for me.
I have wrestled with this one many times over the years but I find that there is nothing more old school than a small block with a fan on it. Its just so classic and I love seeing it spinning up there even if it cost me some HP. I have a 5 blade fan and it pulls very well. Since I went to EPAS and got rid of the rube goldberg hydraulics of my old power steering, I love a simple small block with a generator hung low and a fan. Its a great look under the hood. Primevil...

I have a plan to use a P30 Chevy fan like on my Motor home as a pusher since its got very small blades and is larger than most of the radiator so it won't block the radiator much and tucking it behind the grill would not crowd up the engine bay adn make it look modern but so far the fan stays in place...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts