Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the most back space one can run up front on a '69?
I know 4,5 is the norm, but I was thinking a 5" BS on a 16" rim.
Anyone tried that?
Car will probably have shelby drop or gw or similar coilover susp.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Off the top of my head I'd say 5.0" BS is too much for a 16" rim. The problem is that the rim will hit the ball joint "housing" on the upper control arm. A 17" will be close, and it will depend on the shape of the particular wheel's rim. I have 17 x 8's on a '65 with 5.0" BS and I needed a 7/32" spacer to clear that UCA ball joint.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
No question. Unfortunately, that's a basic problem with a 16" wheel on our cars anyway due to the location of the UCA as 180 said, but all that BS will just make it worse yet (if that's possible!?).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, well thats what i thought.. that sucks.

Thing is that i got my eyes set on some custom Torque Thrusts from AM Racing, 16x9.5 rims with custom back space.
I want these rims back and front.
I know this would probably call for some serious flaring of the fenders, but, look at this guy: http://www.falcon-vs-mustang.com/69bossmustang.html he's running 16x10 rims front. His flares doesent seem monstrous at all.
I have no idea what his back space is, allthough
his rims are custom built (a little out of my league). What i do know is that he's running Global West negative roll front suspension.
How does he pull that off I wonder..?

As good as 17" rims may look I still want 16" to be able to create somewhat of a oldschool look, but still being able to find more performance oriented tires (then whats available for 15"s).

Any thoughts or ideas to get around this are appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
fast_back said:
What i do know is that he's running Global West negative roll front suspension.
How does he pull that off I wonder..?
This pic I found shows exactly the difference between the ball joints on an OE UCA and on a Global West:

http://i16.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/a0/c2/242e_1.JPG

These UCA's are turned upside down in this photo. But you can see very easily the problem with the OE -- what I described as the ball joint "housing." It's a hemispherical bump that's part of the OE UCA stamping. That's what your 16" rim will hit unless it has BS of 4.25-4.50". The Global West ball joint bolts to the bottom of the UCA with no bump on the top at all.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Yeah, kind of......
The GW arm is also a teeny bit shorter.
And what you gain in BJ clearance you lose in
the corners of the arm by the BJ. (Where the
tubing is capped off) That's the part of the arm
that mashes the inside rim lip and rips off any
clip-on wheel weights you might have mistakenly
used :thumbsdown: at full steering lock!
In real world numbers, there isn't a tremendous
difference in rim clearance between the OE arm &
the GW upper arm.

ex-GW Gen Manager
1991-1994

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I don't recall the BS on my rims, but they fit fine - they are 16x8 Vintage 40s with 235/55 16s. I'd recommend the Vintage wheel 40 or 45 style on the '69 as the bigger wheelwell fills up better with the 16" rim.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Vintage 40's and 45's are 4.5" BS

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes they are, and only 8" wide.. though they do look good, I still want wider up front.. I'll find a way..
Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 Owner said:
Yeah, kind of......
The GW arm is also a teeny bit shorter.
And what you gain in BJ clearance you lose in
the corners of the arm by the BJ. (Where the
tubing is capped off) That's the part of the arm
that mashes the inside rim lip and rips off any
clip-on wheel weights you might have mistakenly
used :thumbsdown: at full steering lock!
In real world numbers, there isn't a tremendous
difference in rim clearance between the OE arm &
the GW upper arm.

ex-GW Gen Manager
1991-1994
i wonder if theres better clearance with GW's coilover kit, I mean those upper arms look a little different from the older ng-roll ones..?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts