Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 65 Fastback with the stock 3 gauge instrument cluster. I recently purchased the GT/1966 5 gauge cluster. Having a little difficulty with the wiring. I found a wiring diagram for a 65 3 gauge and a 66 5 gauge but the fuel gauge wiring if different from 65 to 66. Only the Amp gauge has markings ( RED & YEL). All the other gauges do not have markings to indicate power side or Sending Unit Side. Does it matter? Not sure what to do. Could you fry the gauge if connected backwards. Does anyone have experience putting one of these in. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
The fuel and oil gauge on the left side share a black jumper off the constant voltage regulator that go to the far left side and the yellow wire to the sending unit goes to the other side (right) of the fuel gauge if the cluster were in place.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Let me know if you need it at a higher resolution. But this is what I used to wire up my cluster. The black/green are grounds, if I recall correctly.

1966 289 Auto Coupe

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
There are diagrams and instructions out there on the interweb which show how to convert the '65 Falcon style panel to the '66 style panel. The ammeter and the turn signal indicator are the 2 biggest changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the same diagram I have. Also have the 1965 Wiring diagram. The Fuel Gauge is different between the two. Can the Fuel Gauge or any of the Gauges be wired backwards. It should matter what side of the Gauge gets the power.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Yes, it matters. Connect your power supply from the IVR to the post on the gauge facing the DRIVER'S SIDE of the car. Connect your sending unit wire to the post on the gauge facing the PASSENGER SIDE of the car.

The Ammeter is the one that will cause you problems, unless you have replaced both the under-dash and engine compartment wiring harness with '66 versions. The '65 Ammeter is an inductive unit...there are no physical connections and the wire passes behind the gauge which uses an inductive coil to function. The '66 Ammeter is a series-shunt type gauge with a physical positive and negative connection and the wires leading to and from the gauge are a specific length, gauge and connect at specific points so that resistance on either side of the gauge is equal and won't cause the gauge to be inaccurate. Many people have the '66 Ammeters converted into a voltmeter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts